Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Friday, October 28, 2011

Review: Devoted by Hilary Duff


Publisher: Simon and Schuster 
Pages: 368
Source: Publisher
Life has drastically changed for seventeen-year-old photojournalist Clea Raymond. Once a jet setting, carefree teenager, she is now a lost girl seeking to find her soulmate and uncover the secret to her father’s disappearance. An impossible, immortal elixir was once a fable but has now been revealed to be true. Sage was given the elixir against his will and has been hunted and chased by powerful forces hoping to benefit from immortal life. Clea and Sage have been coming together year after year, and her untimely death has always gotten in the way. Clea is determined to have a different outcome this time. Sage has been kidnapped but she knows he is still alive. His image is still appearing in her photos, but she must find him before it is too late.  After shunning Ben for weeks, Clea turns to him for help, he’s let her down in other lifetimes but he is determined to make it up to her and Clea can’t find Sage on her own. After unlikely visits from a young girl named Amelia, Clea tries to put the pieces together. Amelia, her parents, and grandfather have all taken the elixir of life but at this time they seek to use Sage to strengthen their dwindling powers. Amelia is afraid that they will hurt Sage, and use the power to strengthen people who want to wreck havoc on the world. Afraid, and confused Amelia gives clues to Clea to help her along, but remain loyal in her parents eyes. Time is running out, and Clea must decide if it is time to let Sage go. Does she fight till the end, take up an unlikely and deadly alliance or does she walk away?
Devoted picks up right after Elixir ends, and the action continues. Hilary Duff really strengthens her story, and introduces strong characters with a tight backstory. If you liked Elixir, you will love this one. Devoted is much more detail oriented, and action packed. New characters, and more of a backstory creates an original, entertaining read. While Elixir was more simple, Devoted is very detailed and creative, with more of an intensity. It took me awhile to understand how Amelia and her family would play into the story but once I began to understand, I was very impressed with the original and well thought out plot. I liked Elixir, but I didn’t know what to expect from this one, and I was pleasantly surprised. I felt like Duff really grew as a writer. I’m excited to see what the next book will entail, the ending is not exactly happily-ever-after. Duff really progressed with this one, and I’m now impressed with her as an author. I recommend this one to any reader who is looking for a new YA storyline.

16 comments:

  1. I still have a a hard time imagining Hillary Duff as an author. I may have to give her series a try just because it has me curious. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that Duff can write so well. I'd like to check these books out just to read her writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea Hilary Duff wrote books. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when you can see how much a writer has grown from one story to the next! I wasn't sure how Hilary would fare as an author, but it seems like she's done a pretty fantastic job, I'll have to give these books a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! I was so convince to never read these books but you just let me know that this book, in fact, is worth reading. WOw. That's why it is never good to judge a series only by its first book. Great review!! muah!

    http://dazzlingreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not heard a lot about these books, but am glad to have read your review and glad that you liked this second installment. Truly, I didn't know that Duff was such a good author! Great review today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH!!! I'm so glad you liked this one, Mrs. Q! I remember absolutely adoring Hilary Duff when I was little, and I was actually just wondering not-too-long-ago whether or not I should pick her books up! Your review just gave me that final push! :)

    Awesome review, Mrs. Q!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize Hillary Duff had a second book. Good for her! I hope her writing career really takes off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admit I usually disregard actors turned authors because I assume they were only published because they're famous. While I'm sure there's still some truth to that it sounds like I might be inpressed by Duff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GReat review! I haven't read Elixer, but it's on my list. I'm so glad to see Hiliary is growing as an author!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have Elixer but haven't read it yet. I am glad you enjoyed this book and I am happy that Duff is becoming a better writer! I am now excited to start these books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She can act, sing and write. What a talented woman!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

    I still have a a hard time imagining Hillary Duff as an author. I may have to give her series a try just because it has me curious. Great review!
    October 28, 2011 7:39 AM"

    I agree. But I am reluctant to spend my own money, I may check my library.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I'm a brazilian girl. I read Elixir and it such wonderful.Hillary Duff is a good author. Besides... A person can have many talents. We here in Brazil we are looking forward to the Devoted. On the other hand your blog is very good. I enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete