Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Review: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Publisher: Simon and Schuster 
Source: Personal Copy

"In a world of extreme beauty, anyone normal is ugly." 

Tally Youngblood lives in a futuristic, utopian society. All normal citizens are considered an Ugly until they turn 16 years old. Once they turn 16, they undergo a drastic surgery and are transformed to become "pretty" by the governments biological standards. Every child dreams of the day they become "Pretty" and move from Uglyville to the high tech New Pretty Town. Tally is only a few weeks away, her best friend Peris has already left to become "Pretty" and she cannot wait to join him. While Peris has moved on, and Tally is lonely she meets a girl named Shay. Shay is not a typical Ugly. She has doubts and suspicions about becoming Pretty, believing there is an alternate story to be told. Tally and Shay have the same birthday and will undergo the operation on the same day. Shay disappears on the day the operation is scheduled leaving Tally a cryptic note how to find her is she wishes to join her. Initially, Tally has no intentions of joining Shay. Tally is upset that Shay fled but she is thrilled to join Peris. However, while waiting to receive the operation Tally is told there is an issue with her operation. She is brought to Special Circumstances and told she must find Shay or remain Ugly forever. Tally is reluctant to betray Shay but she has also made a promise to Peris that she will join him and not do anything to delay the process. Tally is torn between her two best friends and her dreams of becoming pretty. Tally sets out on a mission to become pretty. Her world is opened and Tally"s life will never be the same. 


I had bought the first three books months ago. I had heard good things about them, and finally decided to read Ugly. I"m really happy that I chose to read it. In the beginning it felt juvenile to be reading a book about Uglies and Pretties. It felt very material however, once I let go of the association of appearance and saw the Uglies and Pretties as social groups it was much easier to read. The plot was full of suspense and is very fast paced. Readers need to give this book a chance and they will be pleasantly surprised. 

I like to take a break between books when I'm reading a series. I think it prolongs the suspense. I will be reading the next book in the series soon. I hope it is as good as Uglies. 

4 comments:

  1. My husband read this whole series and loved it. I've got his copies here and need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a completely new one to me.

    Will wait till you complete the set to hear how it fared.

    Interesting comment on society is it not :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one and enjoyed it (before all the trilogy craze even! :) meant to read the rest of the series but just hadn't gotten around to it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking that the Uglies series would be a good one for Not-So-Bebe Girl Autumn. AND if adult readers are liking it, too (which yours and other reviews indicate), I might just pick them up and read them myself as well!

    ReplyDelete