Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Review: Elixir by Hilary Duff and Elise Allen



Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Pages: 336
Source: Personal Ebook

Clea Raymond is a seventeen-year-old photojournalist. She’s constantly in the limelight; her mother is a high profile politician, and her father a world-renowned surgeon. Paparazzi have wrecked havoc on her social life. As difficult as that has been, her life comes crashing to a halt when her father goes missing. It has been a year since he went missing, and Clea cannot move on, she’s constantly thinking about her father. Her mother has done the opposite; she’s thrown herself into her career and quickly changes the subject when Clea brings up the situation. Clea visits an empty grave, and wonders if her father may be alive. For a year now, Clea has wanted to visit Brazil and investigate her father’s disappearance. When a photojournalist job is pitched to Clea, she has to convince her mother to sign the parental authorization form. While it does come with a lecture, Clea is allowed to go as long as she goes with her friend/bodyguard named Ben. Before she sets out to Brazil, Clea notices something very strange in her pictures. Upon enlarging her photos she notices a man in each and every photo. It’s even creepier when Clea explores her father’s photos and noticed the same man in pictures with her. These photos really disturb her, and he begins appearing in her dreams. Every time she closes her eyes this man appears, the time frames shift and Clea becomes different women but he is always there. On her trip to Brazil, the man appears again, but this time he’s living and running away from her. Clea eventually catches up to him, and notices her father’s coveted watch on his arm. Clea should be scared but she’s more intrigued, and attracted to this stranger- there is something about him that makes her feel comfortable.

Elixir was a really enjoyable read and I was pleasantly surprised. Elixir has great plot-twists, a captivating romance, a mysterious disappearance and the element of surprise. I didn’t expect much from this book, and I had seen very mixed reviewed. I think Duff should have written under a pseudonym, she might have received a different reaction. Elise Allen is credited as a co-writer, and I think the two pair up well. I won’t say that this book is written flawlessly, there is room for improvement but the entertaining aspect of the book had me hooked. I was actually counting down the page numbers, because I was getting worried about how it would end. I did find it weird that as a Senator’s daughter everyone knew who Clea was, that was a little unrealistic to me. The secondary characters are memorable, and help build to the story. Elixir had me engaged and left me wanting more. I will be reading Devoted soon, because I need to know what happens next. Since I received the ARC, I went home and flipped through some pages because I needed to know where the book was going. Overall, Duff had me wrapped up in the romance, and love triangle, I was turning the pages as fast as I could to find out what would happen, and I hoped she would find her father alive.

16 comments:

  1. Great. I was waiting to see your review of this book. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I was skeptical too because it's, well, Hillary Duff, and she's not known for being a writer. I think her using her real name as opposed to a pseudonym will actually help her. People will be curious to see what it is she wrote and since it's a decent book like you described, she should do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goody! You liked it. I enjoyed it too. Like you I had issues with the writing but the concept and pace were great. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So there is anotehr author too? I do wonder how much of the book seh wrote then

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about this book, which is why I haven't picked it up to read yet. Glad to hear you enjoyed it though! I may have to give it a shot after all. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear this one isn't horrible. I bought it during the Borders sales so I've been putting of reading it for awhile haha. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to see you enjoyed this book. As soon as I saw the author's name, I was turned off. I think you are right, she should have written under a different name. She may have gotten a better reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard surprisingly good things about this. I agree that it's weird that everyone knows the daughter of a senator. And how many surgeons are world-famous? Not many.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you enjoyed this one as I was completely unsure since it's Hilary Duff and all. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to know what others think about this since its written by Hilary Duff, but haven't bothered to look it up on goodreads. So I'm glad to read your review of it. The plot sounds like something that would totally draw me in and keep me engaged. The whole guy in the pics reminds me of an episode of NCIS. Pretty ccreepy too. And now I want to know why he was there and what he was doing with her father's watch. I'll have to get this one when it's released in paperback or grab the e-book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing, I was about to buy it just because but I have read too many mixed reviews about it. This one is one more.
    Thanks for sharing ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  11. There was a co-writer? Hmmm...Yeah, I agree. It's interesting to wonder what the reaction would have been if Duff had written this under a pseudonym. I've been avoiding this one just because her name is attached to it. I'm such a book snob. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea I was a little skeptical of this book, but after your review I think Ill give it a shot. Im a new follower of your blog.

    Thanks for stopping by my guest post of A beautiful dark. I loved the book. You should def read it if you get a chance.

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am also pretty intrigued by this book, mainly because of its author. It sounds like it was a pretty good read though, so I am wondering what I will think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. With her new book being released this month, I wasn't sure if I would read it or not. I think that your right about her possibly doing better under another name. I just might have to give her books a try. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy smokes - now I guess I have to read the first one before I jump on number two... hmmmm maybe I'll just get it now! Arghhhh there goes the budget!

    ReplyDelete