Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Monday, October 10, 2011

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins



Publisher: Hyperion
Pages: 352
Source: Personal Copy


Sophie Mercer is sixteen years old, and has already attended nineteen different schools in nineteen different states. Her mother is desperately trying to allow Sophie to have a normal high school experience but the problem is that Sophie is not like the other students; she was born to a warlock father, and human mother. Her powers are too tempting to resist however, she hasn’t perfected a spell and attracts attention. Usually, she is discovered for who she is. Her father is not actively in her life, but she does speak to him occasionally. When a love spell goes wrong on prom night, Sophie is sent to Hectate Hall where she must stay until she is eighteen years old. She is banished to a reform school for prodigium students. This is the first time Sophie will live among witches, warlocks, faeries, and shape shifters and they are astounded that she knows so little about who she is, or who her father is. On her first day of school she is singled out and clearly doesn’t fit in. Within her first few minutes on school property, a handsome boy saves her from a werewolf when Sophie is caught off guard and can only muster “bad dog.” Her roommate is the only vampire on campus, and a group of three witches try to convince Sophie to join their coven. When Sophie turns down their offer, they quickly become her enemies. Sophie is not looking forward to the next two years.

Hex Hall is a fast, fun, entertaining read. Sophie is a very sarcastic character, and I really enjoyed her. She begins the novel very naive, and clueless.  She is years behind the other students in her knowledge of prodigium but her knowledge doesn’t grow too much throughout the novel. As Sophie learns about her past, it felt very patchy. I don’t understand why she wasn’t trying to seek out more concrete answers. The book doesn’t have many twists or shocking moments; it seemed more about world and character building. Since it was a fast read, this didn’t bother me too much. I would have liked more action. When characters are being attacked, I didn’t really feel the fear of the other students. It seemed downplayed. This is the first book in the series, and I’m interested in the progression of the characters. This book does have some flaws, but they may be redeemed in the later books. Many YA novels have teenagers who seem wiser than their years, Sophie clearly is a teenager. I really enjoyed that aspect of her character.  Overall, I enjoyed the novel but I’m curious about where Rachel Hawkins will go next. I think this was a great first novel. The ending certainly leaves you wanting more, giving me a lot of hope for the next book. If you’re curious about this one, give it a try. I honestly enjoyed it, and I’m looking forward to book Demonglass.

13 comments:

  1. This one is a lot of fun isn't it? I really like Sophie. She's got some fantastic one liners and book two is even better!

    I'm having a giveaway of the book Telesa by Lani Wendt Young on my blog. Check it out at The Write Obsession

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds like a light, fun read and I love books about magic. I am adding it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Character and world building can definitely be interesting and enough but I'm curious about that because it seems like there are a lot of similar books in this genre out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun book and perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to get my hands on this book! It's on sale on BN right now, but I'm just putting it off haha!! I really want to read it soon though! Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series! I can't wait to get my hands on the third book next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right about so many teenage characters being wise beyond their years and mature. Sometimes it is fun to read about a teenager acting like a teenager. But I think it would have frustrated me as well if there was truth that needed to be revealed and the main character wan't doing all she could to uncover it. Ambivalent characters can irk me sometimes. Anywho, nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fun read! I have heard so many good things about this book. I may have to give it a try. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard much about this book before your review, but it does sound interesting. I am wondering if successive books in the series will iron out a few of the kinks of the first book. Great review on this one! Thanks for sharing it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im glad you enjoyed it! I love Hex Hall and Demonglass, I hope you can get your hands in that one pretty soon! =D

    Happy Thanksgiving day ^_^ muah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the sound of her actually being a teen cos all those kids who just know too much can get irritating

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm SO glad that you liked this one! I totally agree with you when you say that it was such a fun read (because it really was!), and Sophie has to be one of my fave heroines ever. The snarky ones are always favourites for me. :)

    Awesome review, Mrs. Q! I hope you get to Demonglass soon because that one is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this series! Demonglass is just as good as this one, if not better. Glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete