Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Review: Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink


Publisher: Little Brown
Pages: 368
Released: 2010
Source: Personal Copy
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis:


Lia Milthorpe has always stood by her father's side, always in his library, she's always been a respectable and honorable daughter. When her father dies unexpectedly, and mysteriously, Lia, her twin sister Alice, and younger brother Henry, are left in the hands of their aunt, since their mother has long passed as well. Lia can't forget the expression left on her father's face in his passing. The two sisters who were always very close, begin to grow apart and Lia is alarmed when she catches her sister being very secretive. Alice becomes distant and cold. Lia is bothered by the fact that Alice doesn’t seem to mourn their father’s death, she simply seems to move on. When Lia’s boyfriend uncovers a book that tells of twins sisters, one the gate and one the guardian in a prophecy, Lia must figure out what the book means and why her father had kept it hidden. When a peculiar mark appears on Lia’s wrist, she doesn’t know who to tell. Soon Lia discovers that she and Alice are actually apart of this prophecy, and they have a vital role, they are destined to be pitted against each other. One has the ability to open the gate to Satan, and one has the ability to control the other for the good of mankind.

Review:


I'm really interested to see how the sister's relationship will continue in this series. The Prophecy of the Sisters begins to set up the prophecy and how each sister will play their role. Some shocking tidbits are uncovered, and I really enjoyed the first book. I really liked how Lia seemed very clueless for much of the novel, while Alice seemed to know more than she was letting on. I thought Zink did a fantastic job setting up both sisters. She included some great twists that I never would have guessed.

I really enjoyed the friendships in the story. In Lia's quest for answers, she bonds with Sophia and Luisa when she discovers similar markings on their hands. Both girls don't have much more information for her but they immediately bond together to try and uncover the secrets, that lay within the prophecy. Key factors of the prophecy prove to not be what they anticipated, which throws the girls for a loop. Lia has a much different role than she could have ever imagined.

I loved the relationship between Lia and James and I hope I get to see more. Their relationship was sweet but not without flaws. Their relationship doesn't overpower the storyline of the prophecy in any way, it remains secondary to the story which I really liked. I hate when YA becomes all about the relationships.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one and I hope to read the second book in the series soon. It does have a Gemma Doyle feel to it, but you can't really compare the novels. Since I've been having a hard time staying interested in YA novels lately, I was really happy to enjoy this one.

12 comments:

  1. This series is outside of my comfort zone, but I've been drawn to it ever since I first saw it. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had been curious about this one when it came out, but never got the chance to read it then. Your review does much to pique my interest, and now I am off to search the library website. Thanks for a very enticing review today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,

    This book is probably outside of my comfort zone also, although I am intrigued by the storyline of both it and the following two books in the series.

    I might even give it a try, if I thought that it worked as a stand-alone novel, as I just can't get interested in something that I need to read the whole series of, to reach a conclusion.

    Checking out the other books, it definitely appears that I need to read all three books, so I shall probably give it a miss.

    Nice review though and the other two books do sound equally as good.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your review has me intrigued..shocking tidbits a prophecy..adding to my list! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a great fan of most fantasy or speculative fiction but the twins pitted against each other is intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds pretty good. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not having a sister myself, I am often drawn to books about sisters. I'll have to check this one out as it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a girl who loves her sister to death, I absolutely ADORED this book! I think this was the first book with a historical-esque feel that I've ever read, and it was nothing short of beautiful. Plus, I thought that James and Lia's relationship was really sweet too, although I kind of wished we got more of them :) (You'll see why not in the second book! :P)

    Awesome review, Mrs. Q!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was little disappointed in this but it stilö wasn't bad. I was just bored and couldn't feel any connection between the sisters. But I'm happy you enjoyed this more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed this one as well, though I've yet to pick up the next two books in the series! I always seem to get distracted by other books before I can make my way back to this one. Can't wait to see what you think of the remaining books Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well the concept for this one sure sounds fascinating. Especially when coupled with the actions of each sister. The secretiveness of Alice is almost creepy and poor Lia seems quite clueless. You have me curious and I can't wait to read your reviews for the rest of this series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've definitely made me curious about this book. This sounds interesting and I love stories about sisters!

    ReplyDelete