Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Review: Bloodman by Robert Pobi



Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Pages: 384
Released: 2012
Source: Publisher
Rating: 5/5



Synopsis:

FBI agent Jake Cole has returned home to care for his ailing father who suffers from dementia and severe burns from a mysterious fire. His widowed father was once a brilliant, famous painter but it seems that he may have set himself ablaze. Twenty-eight years ago, Jake walked away from his abusive and alcoholic father, never planning to return. Over the years his anger has dissipated, and Jake now feels that it's his duty to care for his father who has no one else. Unfortunately for Jake his father isn't the only thing he has to worry about. A storm is brewing, threatening the Eastern Seaboard and Jake has been called in to assist the local police in a gruesome, double murder of a mother and child. As Jake begins to piece together the clues, the killer becomes bolder. It soon appears like a serial killer is on the loose and the department is counting on Jake since this is the most gruesome, high profile case they've ever encountered. Jake begins to brief the department on how to proceed with the media while worrying about his wife and son who have recently arrived in town.



Review:

Robert Pobi's debut thriller is a fantastic read that will leave readers stunned, and shaking their heads in disbelief. From the opening pages, readers will be hooked and taken on a roller coaster ride of unbelievable twists and turns. Pobi proves to be a talented writer who knows exactly what to give his readers.

Jake Cole is a mysterious character, he's battled many demons, and overcome years of substance abuse. While he may be an FBI agent, who has viewed some of the most ghastly, despicable murder scenes, he's also a dedicated family man. Jake's mother was also a victim of murder, and his newest case has too many similarities for him to ignore. He begins to wonder if the killer has been waiting for him, and might be taunting him. His trip back home to care for his father is nothing like he was expecting.

I'm not a huge thriller fan, but I couldn't put this one down. In fact, I may need to revisit and explore the genre a little more. This book unfolded like a well-written, well-crafted movie and I couldn't put any of the pieces together. I was completely blindsided and taken for a ride. I thought the plot was cleverly weaved together and left me hanging on to every word. If you're not a thriller fan, you might want to try this one anyway.



10 comments:

  1. First time I've seen this title - sounds intense. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don';t normally read serial murder mysteries but this one does sound suspenseful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge thriller fan either, but I do love a book that has lots of twists and turns and leaves me shaking at the end:) Sounds like a fantastic story all the way around - my dad is a HUGE thriller fan, so I'm definitely recommending this to him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am becoming surprisingly open-minded about thrillers after having read a few good ones over the past year or so, and this one has my name written all over it! I like the way you describe it and the synopsis sounds fascinating as well. I will be looking for this one, and thank you for your excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha that makes two of us! x) I'm not a huge thriller fan either (I'm always the girl in the back of the movie who panics whenever intense music plays), but this one sounds FANTASTIC. Books that you can't put down are some of my favourites, as well as books that play like a movie! This is another under-the-radar book I haven't heard of, but I'm intrigued now! ;)

    Awesome review, Mrs. Q! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not read thrillers much but the fact that you are giving this one a 5/5 tells me I need to add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds amazing. I love a good thriller and this one has all the elements of a great mystery. I'm so curious as to how all the pieces of his history fit together. His mother's murder, his father's condition and history. Hell I'm thrilled by your review! I'll have to add this to the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds awesome and I am excited to hear its a debut..since so many thrillers i love are on book 32...LOL Fantastic review you have me excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fact that you don't love thrillers but you loved this one says a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a thriller fan, but I tend to be sort of picky about them because they come in all shapes and sizes, lol. This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete