Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Review: These Girls by Sarah Pekkanen




Publisher: Washington Square Press
Released: 2012
Pages: 340
Source: Personal Copy
Rating: 4/5



Synopsis:

These Girls focuses on three young women living in New York City. Cate and Renee are roommates who work at the same magazine. When their third roommate moves out, Abby’s brother asks Cate and Renee if his troubled sister could move in with them. Cate has just received a promotion but she is always questioning herself. She never finished her degree, and constantly feels inadequate and inexperienced. Renee desperately needs to make more money, and Cate suggests that she try out for her old position and beauty editor. Renee loves the thought but when mean comments about her weight are posted on her blog, she is mortified and afraid she’ll be passed up. Abby clearly had trouble in her last position as a nanny; apparently she was involved with the husband. She’s very quiet, depressed and clearly needs friendship. The three girls begin to bond, and open up to one another.



Review:

These Girls was my first Sarah Pekkanen book. I wasn’t immediately drawn to the characters, but Abbey’s story really caught my attention. Once I started getting wrapped up in her story, Renee and Cate’s story began to further interest me. I kept getting Renee and Cate mixed up and it took me awhile to remember who was who. I thought the book was a little slow in the beginning, but I’m really happy I stuck with it. In the end, all three girls had a great story to tell. The character development was great, as was the development of the character’s friendship. Once I was half-way through the book, I didn’t want to put it down. I would say Abbey’s story was the most interesting, and the most developed.

Many readers would be able to relate to these characters. They’re young, and trying to figure out who they are and what they want in life. Their family situations aren’t ideal which causes more confusion. They need to focus on themselves, and don’t want to bother each other with their problems. This is a great read for those who want to read about friendships, and struggles. New York life can be glamorous, but also fast-paced and confusing. Even when others think you have everything, you may not be as happy as you appear. Putting on a happy smile, and actually feeling happy are two very separate things.

7 comments:

  1. I love Pekkanen's writing! You need to read Skipping a Beat next, but be prepared with tissues when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard nothing but good things about Pekkanen's books. I really need to read one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of my favorite reads of the year. So light and fun, yet so deep and meaningful as well. You wrote a great review on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this author, but have not read this book yet! Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read anything by Sarah. I'm hoping to get to this book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is new to me, but I am curious and I think this is one my oldest would enjoy as well. Despite the slow start and confusion i am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you ultimately enjoyed this one! I've read quite a few works by Pekkanen and always end up relating to one character or another. She definitely does a great job of exploring female friendships, and I really liked this book! Agree that it took a bit to get into, but it was worthwhile in the end.

    ReplyDelete