Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Review: Two Solitudes by Hugh Maclennan [Canada Reads 2013]



Publisher: New Canadian Library
Released: 1945- Reprinted 2009
Pages: 530
Source: Personal Copy
Rating: 2/5

Synopsis:

Two Solitudes follows the life Athanese Tallard, a French-Canadian, his second wife Kathleen, an Irish-Canadian and their young son named Paul. Athanese’s older son Marius blames all of his problems on English-Canadians; as a result he disapproves of Kathleen. Paul is given a view of both worlds, and seeing the clashes between cultures. Two Solitudes demonstrates the difficult politics through history, war, religious views and progression.

Review:

I struggled with Two Solitudes, at times I wasn’t sure if I wanted to finish it. As an English, Quebecer I had a hard time with the politics. Our current politics didn’t help me want to read through this.
Throughout the novel, I  had a hard time liking the characters. They seemed one dimensional, and didn’t really peak my interest. The writing was very dry, the pacing was very slow and I felt very standoffish towards this one. I’m glad I read this one, but I don’t recommend it. I was surprised that this book was the runner up in the Canada Reads 2013 battle.

5 comments:

  1. If it has a lot of Canadian politics in it, I probably wouldn't understand a lot of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Bermuda. And politics are usually a turn off for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I would like this one. I'm sorry that you didn't like it either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hate this book. The whole theme is just about politics .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hate this book. The whole theme is just about politics .

    ReplyDelete