Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Monday, April 13, 2015

Review: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins


Publisher: Doubleday Canada
Released: 2015
Pages: 320
Source: Personal Copy
Rating: 4/5

The Girl on the Train was all over my twitter and it seemed like everyone was talking about it being the next “Gone Girl.” I’m really not a fan of comparing books to other books, and initially I didn’t really want to read this one. Finally, I decided to give it a try. It was a good read, but I didn’t absolutely love it. The characters are not likable; the plot becomes a little predictable as you near the end but I did enjoy it and I’m happy I read it.

The main character Rachel rides the train to and from London each weekday. The train stops at the same junction, and Rachel begins watching a young couple. She imagines their names, their occupations and can’t help but watch them. One day, she notices something off. Suddenly, the girl she’s been watching goes missing and Rachel has information for the police, but she isn't sure they’ll take her seriously.

We learn Rachel doesn't have a job, although she tells her roommate otherwise. She’s divorced, she drinks, and her life is really in an upheaval. Although, as a reader I couldn't feel bad for her. We also have Rachel’s ex-husband’s wife’s perspective, and I couldn't like her either. Anna was Tom’s mistress, and the more she justifies their affair, the more I couldn't like her. The girl who goes missing is Megan, and her perspective is interesting to read. She has a lot of baggage and doesn't reveal too much.
   
The Girl on the Train was suspenseful, until I came near the end. Then I put all the pieces together, and mostly figured it out. I read a lot of reviews with similar reactions. I was surprised that I disliked the characters so much, but I still enjoyed the read. I recommend this one, if you like thrillers. I would also like more recommendations for thrillers, since I haven’t read many.


4 comments:

  1. I didn't dislike Rachel the way so many people have and really enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to shake her and tell "get to get it together!"

      Delete
    2. I agree with you there. I think I yelled at my book a couple times as I followed Rachel's antics.

      Delete
  2. I ended up picking this book up at Costco. I enjoyed it but at first I was worried that I wouldn't because of the hype. Rachel was over the top at times

    ReplyDelete