Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Monday, September 28, 2015

Slow Cooker 101



I love my slow cooker, and I don't think I could get through my weeks without it. Especially with a young child who has an early bedtime, I don't have a lot of time to prepare meals. I love my slow cooker because it's easy, it's efficient and it's so delicious! I know plenty of people who have the same love for their slow cooker as I do, but I've also come across those who haven't used one and are not sure where to begin. I have some tips and tricks for you. Once you know how to slow cook, head on over to Pinterest and finds some meals to cook.


  • You can but liners that will cover the slow cooker, and make clean up time faster. Another options would be to spray the slow cooker with an oil spray. I have the Ninja Kitchen Cooking System which is non stick and I love it. I will have a review of this coming up

  • When choosing meats, you can opt for the cheaper meats when using a slow cooker. The slow cooking process will tenderize even the toughest meats. So, skip the pricier meats and save some money.

  • Only fill the slow cooker half to two-thirds full. This will ensure the recipe cooks within the proper time frame. Slow cookers come in a variety of sizes, choose the one that will fit your family.

  • Vegetables don't cook as fast as meat and they should be placed underneath the meat at the bottom. They will cook and be juicy. Tender vegetables should only be added during the last 45 minutes, this way they won't overcook and break down.

  • Liquids don't boil away while slow cooking. If you have a recipe that's not specifically for a slow cooker, reduce the liquid by 1/2 unless cooking rice or soup.

  • Setting times on a slow cooker is usually low or high. The both cook at the same temperature but it dictates how fast the slow cooker will reach the maximum temperature. The low setting usually takes 8 to 10 hours to cook your food while the high setting takes 4 to 6 hours. One hour on low id equal to 2 hours on high.

  • Once you've put in your ingredients and you're ready for it to cook, walk away! Slow cookers are meant to cook while you're away. There's no need to stir or watch the cooking process. Every time you lift the lid, heat is escaping and disrupting the cook time. Also, ensure your lid fits snuggly. If the lid doesn't fit well, the temperature is not stable within the slow cooker.

If you have any tips and tricks, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always happy when I come home to a meal in the slow cooker but I hardly ever use mine. :/

    ReplyDelete