Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Sunday, July 24, 2011

In My Mailbox/ Montreal Book Bloggers Meetup



I have a very special mailbox post this week. When I first started blogging I never would have imagine it having such an impact on me. I first discovered Rory's Book Club and loved talking about books with the members, soon afterwards a few of us began blogging.  I began to take book blogging a little more seriously about 2 years ago, and devoted a blog primarily to books. I began to discover the book blogging community, but I always felt alone in my community so, I pressured PK to start her blog at Aisle B (Yes, there was an ultimatum but she thanks me now...) A few weeks ago I saw a request on twitter for Montreal bloggers, and replied. This soon turned into a group of 15 people. We decided to get together this weekend, and discuss books and the lack of english events in our area. Montreal books events are primarily french, and those that are english are not well advertised. This is something we hope to see change. We created a Facebook Group, and plan to keep Montrealers up to date with events.


Simon and Schuster Canada, Harper Collins Canada, Scholastic Canada, and Random House Canada heard what we were up to, and sent us some amazing books and swag. We distributed these amongst ourselves and I got some great books. I want to thank these amazing publishers for their support and generosity.


First I'll introduce the Montreal Bloggers. We were 13 people, 2 people were unable to attend.



Front row L-R: PK from Aisle B (in red), Cindy from Cindy's Love of Books, Cat from Beyond Books, Lisa from Starmetal Oak Book Blog
Back Row L-R: Avis from She Reads and Reads, Amanda from Tales and Treats, Melissa from YA Book Shelf, Me, Mrs. Q, Cindy B. from Tynga's Reviews, Lucy from Moonlight Gleam's Bookshelf (who made our awesome name tags!), Donna from Book Bound, Laura from Library of Clean Reads, Tina from Bookshipper


And Here is what I got:






Lady of The English by Elizabeth Chadwick (From Sourcebook not related to event)
The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (From Sourcebook not related to the event) (Nonetheless Sourcebooks is amazing)


(From the event)


Want to Go Private by Sarah Darer Littman (Harper Collins Canada)
Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga (Harper Collins Canada)
The Book of Lies by Mary Horlock (Random House Canada)
Things We Didn't Say by Kristina Riggle (Scholastic Canada)
The Recessionistas by Alexandra Lebenthal (From PK!)

Oh, and I have to show my name tag...Lucy did an amazing job!



I'm looking forward to our next meetup. It was great to match faces with blogs. I had a great time!

31 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see what you and PK look like and I'm so jealous that you have so many bloggers near you. This event sounds like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww!! the event looks so fun!! The name tag is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer it was so great to meet you and PK finally. We have to do this more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that we're all showing off the name tags. HA!

    It was great meeting you in person! I hope we can get together again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like so much fun! I only wish there were more book bloggers around me for a meet up too. Or at least book bloggers I know, I guess for all I know there's a secret book blogger community near me that I just haven't heard of yet, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blast! Yes I now appreciate the ultimatum- after the fact ;P It was such a fun event and the smiles never stopped. I can't believe the amount of swags and books we came out with. I'll post mine on next mailbox.

    We definitely have something special in MTL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer, it was great meeting you! I'm hoping we can get to know each other better at other meet-ups! Enjoy all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous that you have so many bloggers near you! Or even in same country ;)

    And oh you got Lady of The English. I'm even more jealous now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow--you guys have got a great thing going! I've got to get my butt on Twitter. And figure out how to get Sourcebooks to start sending me review copies!! I want those new Elizabeth Chadwick and Susanna Kearlsey books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great books and swag! That is great that you are able to have a great group of local bloggers to meet up with! I'd love to have a group like this near me:) Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun to see a photo of you all! Not as much fun as actually being there, I guess. It's really nice that all of you were able to get together - and get some great books, too! I'd love to read the Chadwick book. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an exciting event! And I love having a feeling of community with other bloggers (or authors).

    Your books look delightful. Enjoy!

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great event! Sounds like a blast. Enjoy all of those fabulous books - I'm looking forward to Lady of the English too.

    Diana @ Book of Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! I'm so jealous! I really, really need to hook up with some Cleveland-area book bloggers - how fun! (You'll find as you get older that it's harder to find and make new girlfriends) I LOVE the nametag! AND you got a bunch of wonderful books out of it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute nametag, it looks like it was a great event- I'm jealous too! Looks like a great book lot- happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great haul and what a wonderful event!

    Come on over and see what was in my mailbox this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was great to meet you finally! Next time I hope we have the opportunity to chat a bit more. Enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you all had a wonderful time! Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the historicals from Sourcebooks. I usually snap up just about every one they put out. Add me to the list of people that wish they had enough bloggers in their area to do a meet up. Looks like you had a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a great time, enjoy! your reads!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/07/mailbox-monday-dark-city-by-catherine.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great news, not only Canadian but in English too. Great. I'm not a Montrealer, but I'm rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That sounds so cool! Way to go Montreal!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's amazing so many of you can get together. I don't know one blogger here in Podunk! Looks like you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like you had a great time! What a fantastic idea.

    Looks like you received some great books, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the third post I've seen today about the Montreal get together. Looks like you had a fabulous time! Enjoy all your new books :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun event this must have been. Love the photo, and look at all those great books.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fun event! You have quite a few bloggers in your area!

    The Rose Garden and The Things We Didn't Say are both going on my wish list. Both look like books I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It was great to meet you and I look forward to chatting more with you - as well as some of the others I didn't get much time to speak with.

    It's also fun to read everyone's post about the meet-up - and be reminded again which books everyone took home!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a neat event! How lucky for you and all of those other bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so glad you liked the tag hon!!! It was such a pleasure meeting you and the ladies!!! Can't wait for the next meetup!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have a nice list of books in your mailbox this week. That is so cool that they heard about it and sent you guys stuff.
    Happy Reading,
    Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete