Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review: Whistlin’ Dixie in a Nor’easter by Lisa Patton





Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Pages: 320
Source: Personal Copy
Rating: 4.5/5
Leelee Satterfield is a Southern belle, born and bred in Memphis, Tennessee. She’s Daddy’s little girl, an Ole Miss alumni, and her best friends have been there since elementary school. She’s married to the man of her dreams and has two beautiful little girls, life couldn’t be better. When her husband announces that he wants to move to Vermont to run an inn, Leelee is flabbergasted. She never thought she would move away from the South, as much as she tries to tell Baker she doesn’t want to go, she wants him to be happy and he won’t take no for an answer. When Leelee decides to make the best it, the inn is nothing like she imagines. She’s literally a fish out of water, and Baker is not helping her adjust. Baker no longer seems to be the man she married. She’s beginning to figure out that she has a lot to learn about Vermont and an Inn business, the climate is just one obstacle to endure. 
Leelee Satterfield captured my heart from the opening pages. She has always depended on a man, first her father and secondly her husband. Leelee never thought she would be left to run the inn on her own, but that’s exactly what happens. Her inheritance is wrapped up in the inn, and she refuses to walk away without her father’s money. She wants nothing more than to return home to her friends, but she must wait. Memphis will be there when she is ready to go home. When Leelee is faced with hardships she really begins to blossom and mature, life in Vermont wasn’t what she expected, but she is determined not to give up. 
Whistlin’ Dixie in a Nor’easter is full of southern charm, and I throughly enjoyed each and every page. Leelee’s life will pull at your heart strings, and cause you to laugh out loud. She is a force to be reckoned with and you will be cheering her on. Her strength and tenacity really impressed me. If you’ve lived through a harsh winter, imagine a reluctant Southern belle’s first winter. The inn is a 24/7 business and raising two daughters doesn’t make it any easier. 
The ending doesn’t completely wrap up the story, but Lisa Patton has since released book two called “Yankee Doodle Dixie.” I can’t wait to read this one, and jump back into Leelee’s world. I highly recommend this one. 

8 comments:

  1. I read both books back to back and thoroughly enjoyed both of them! I think the first book was my favorite of the two though. Leelee is such a great character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the chance to have dinner with Patton last September, and I have to tell you that she's a lot of fun, and a very nice person. I am really excited about both of these books, and hope that I get the chance to read them soon! Great review today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that it's a story about a woman who's dealt a bad hand but learns to prevail. Great concept. Sounds great. And I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds like so much fun, I am adding it to my TBR list. Thanks for letting me know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one yet, but I read its follow-up. (I know, I know - it makes no sense.) Anyway, I loved the book and I love Lisa! She's terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like one of the chick lit books I tend to love so much. I'm loving that Leelee is thrown into a situation she is not at all comfortable with but pushes through and perseveres regardless. Actually sounds a bit inspirational. Hope you enjoy the next installment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to pull this one off of my shelf and read it as it just sounds too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, this book sounds so darn adorable! The first thing that drew me in was the cover, with its pretty pastel colours and the sweet-looking peach in the middle. But from the way you describe it... WOW! I can already tell that Leelee is one of those amazingly strong characters, and alone is enough to tell me that this book will be amazing! :)

    Awesome review, Mrs. Q!

    ReplyDelete