Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Review: No Safe Harbor by Elizabeth Ludwig



Publisher: Bethany House
Pages: 336
Released: 2012
Source: 4/5



Synopsis:

Cara Hamilton lost her parents and soon after thought her brother was dead as well. When she received a letter from her brother, advising her that he was still alive, she boarded a boat to Ellis Island. When Cara steps foot off the boat, her brother, Eoghan (pronounced Owen) is nowhere to be found. The letter mentions for her to trust no one and wait for him to find her. Cara decides she won’t tell anyone about Eoghan, and prays that he’ll come find her soon. She befriends a man named Rourke, but decides to keep his knowledge of her limited. Cara faces many twists and turns, trying to find her brother. When the trust about her is revealed, her life is in danger.



Review:

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started No Safe Harbor, but I was immediately drawn to the story. I feared for Cara, and I wanted her to reunite with her brother. At the same time, I didn’t know what kind of trouble her brother had gotten himself in, and I questioned his character. I allegiance was with Cara and I wanted what was best for her, whether that was reuniting with her brother or trusting Rourke. It’s clear that there’s more to Rourke than Cara is aware of, and I kept wondering if she should trust him, and if their friendship would harm her.

Ludwig’s portrayal of 1890’s New York was fantastic. I’m a big fan of historical fiction, and although this is Christian Historical Fiction, I really enjoyed it. I do enjoy Christian Fiction, but I don’t like it to be very preachy, which this was not. No Sage Harbor was first and foremost, an entertaining read that kept me interested throughout the story. I will definitely be continuing this series. If you're looking for an interesting read, a plot that keeps you engaged, and a historical background, this one will be for you.

7 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one, and I am wondering what kind of trouble this brother of hers has gotten into. I am betting that this is the kind of read that would have me glued to my seat, and those are the kinds that I need right now. Excellent review, my friend. Simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mystery surrounding her brother's disappearance sounds intriguing. I've never read Christian Fiction before (that I can remember), so I just wouldn't know what to expect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Christian Fiction, I just don't want it to be too preachy. Some of my favorite titles are from Christian publishers. Often, I wouln't know any different if I didn't know who the publisher was.

      Delete
  3. O.o this sounds delightful, I love the plot and the setting. Now I want to know about her brother, great review. This is going on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O I must get this. This is the second great review I've read today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this one well enough, but I'm hoping the next one is better. The historical aspect was fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you really liked this one because I will be reading it soon. I love historical fiction too and your review got me all excited.

    ReplyDelete