Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Canada Reads 2013 Upcoming reviews



For those of you who don't know, Canada Reads is an annual "battle of the books" held in Canada. Started in 2001, five Canadian's chose a book they though Canadians should read. They defended their choice through a series of debates, and eventually one winner was chosen. This year they shook things up, and the books were split into geographic regions; Atlantic, British Columbia, Ontario, Prairies & North, and Quebec, with Canadians recommending which novels they thought should be represented. I think the regions are interesting, but I'm not rooting for Quebec, just because I'm from Quebec. I'm more interested in reading and comparing the five books for myself. Every year I want to read the books, but this year I'm actually comitting myself to reading all five books. I will review each indiviually and then finally choose which one I think should win. The debates will be in February.

Here are the Five books that have been selected, including their panelists:

British Columbia and Yukon:
Carol Huynh defends Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese


Prairies and North:
Ron MacLean defends The Age of Hope by David Bergen



Ontario:
Charlotte Gray defends Away by Jane Urquhart



Quebec:
Jay Baruchel defends Two Solitudes by Hugh MacLennan


Atlantic:
Trent McClellan defends February by Lisa Moore




Will you be reading them?




6 comments:

  1. The debates sound great - will they be available online? I'm looking forward to your reviews - I really like Canadian lit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will be. The website is here: http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads/

      Delete
  2. They all sound like great choices. After reading the blurbs, I'm partial to FEBRUARY by Lisa Moore. (I'm a wee bit obsessed with Newfoundland because of Great Big Sea's music. *g*) My library has a copy of the book, so maybe I'll read it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool and I knew nothing about this. All of the books selected sound unique. February sounds interesting. I would love to read the actual debates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit to never having listened to Canada Reads, but I LOVED Away so I just may have to tune in this year in the hopes it can take the 2013 Canada Reads crown! I've not read any of the other contenders but they all sound good.

    I can't wait to read your thoughts on each of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never listened to Canada Reads either. How cool that you're deciding to read the books and give your own take on them. I will look out for your reviews. I'm thinking that I should read them too.

    ReplyDelete