Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Review: S.E.C.R.E.T by L. Marie Adeline



Publisher: Broadway
Pages: 288
Released: 2013
Source: Publisher
Rating: 3/5


In S.E.C.R.E.T there are…
No judgments. No limits. No shame.

Cassie Robichaud’s life has been filled with regret and loneliness since the death of her husband. She waits tables at the rundown Café Rose in New Orleans, and every night she heads home to her solitary one-bedroom apartment. But when she discovers a notebook left behind by a mysterious woman at the café, Cassie’s world is forever changed. The notebook’s stunningly explicit confessions shock and fascinate Cassie, and eventually lead her to S∙E∙C∙R∙E∙T, an underground society dedicated to helping women realize their wildest, most intimate sexual fantasies. Cassie soon immerses herself in an electrifying journey through a series of ten rapturous fantasies with gorgeous men who awaken and satisfy her like never before. As she is set free from her inhibitions, she discovers a new confidence that transforms her, giving her the courage to live passionately. Equal parts enticing, liberating and emotionally powerful, S∙E∙C∙R∙E∙T is a world where fantasy becomes reality.


Review:

Yes, you read the synopsis right… Yes, I did read an erotica book... The book was a recommended read when I received a pitch for review, and I thought I would give it a try. I've stayed away from all the Fifty Shades- type books. First, I want to say I am SHY and reading this book was hilarious for me. I could feel myself blushing, and wondering if anyone around me was looking at what I was reading, perhaps glancing at the pages.

Overall, I enjoyed the story line-  the erotica, not so much. I liked the idea of female empowerment and choosing to live a happy, fulfilling life. Cassie begins the book living in a shell; her day to day life just gets her by. She’s not willing to open herself up. Her husband was abusive, and has since passed but she’s not willing to date, she’s closed herself off. When she begins accepting the dares, she begins to become more and more confident. The underground society allows women to know that they can be in control of her life. The ending was not predictable, and I was really shocked that it ended the way it did. It was a really fast read. If this is your type to read, you should pick this one up. I on the other hand, will consider myself finished exploring this genre.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read any erotica (although some would say some romance novels border on erotica - I guess it's all relative). I'm just not curious enough or maybe daring enough to go to erotica. I give you credit for trying one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrm, I'm on the fence about this. I have a feeling that I would be blushing a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think this is for me! I'd probably blush, too, if I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting. I would never have guessed this was erotica.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any erotica, but I do have a couple sent by publishers should I choose to read them. I think I would also be embarrassed, and it has nothing to do with being a prude. I think it's all about the literary merit, and these books seem to appeal to a different demographic than most of us are in. Great job with this review. Like Mary, I admire you for trying it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to you for trying this novel, even though it's out of your comfort zone. I, too, have stayed away from the Fifty Shades trilogy and won't be trying this one either.

    ReplyDelete