Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Review: Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen



Publisher: Puffin Books
Pages: 281
Released: 2004
Source: Personal Copy
Rating: 4/5



Synopsis:

Halley and Scarlett have been inseparable best friends since grade school. Scarlett has always been Halley’s rock but when Scarlett learns that her boyfriend has been killed in a motorcycle accident, it’s Halley’s turn to protect Scarlett. A bad situation becomes even more difficult when Scarlett learns that she is pregnant. Her romance with Michael was kept under wraps and her peers are shocked to learn she is pregnant with his baby. Her mother is not supportive, and doesn’t give her many options. The girls bond together and try to figure out what is best for Scarlett and her unborn baby. Meanwhile Halley begins dating a boy her parents are not thrilled with, and Halley realizes that some things need to be learned the hard way.



Review:

This was my first Sarah Dessen novel, and I thought it was very well written. Dessen captures teenage emotions and struggles very accurately. Halley and her mother have always been close, but they’ve been increasingly distant with each other. Halley thinks her mother has no idea who she is anymore, has no trust in her, and she begins to test her boundaries with her parents. Scarlett’s situation is unique and heartbreaking. She will always wonder what would have happened if Michael hadn’t died. Would he have helped her with the child? Her mother was also a teen parent, and she warns Scarlett not to make the wrong decision. She doesn’t have to struggle, she has options. Scarlett is strong willed but it’s difficult to be a pregnant teenager, making adult decisions.

I will definitely try out more of Sarah Dessen’s books. I’m really happy that I started with this one, because it was a great read. This one would appeal to both teenagers and adults. Highly recommended.






7 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a very emotional book. It's good to know it's well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read a Sarah Dessen book. This one sounds great, thanks for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like it's heavy and emotional. I've heard good things about SD and i have a couple of her books here I haven't read yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one does sound very good, and also very deep. I don't think I have read anything by this author, but I really need to see if I can find this one. Excellent review today. You totally sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read my first Sarah Dessen book fairly recently (That Summer) and wasn't a huge fan. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it, I just didn't love it as much as I expected to. With that said I do already own, this one, so if I read another of hers it will most likely be this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I was a follower, but apparently I wasn't.

    I am now a NEW FOLLOWER and NEW E-MAIL SUBSCRIBER.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great read, good plot, well written and likeable characters..so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete