Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Review: The Here and Now by Ann Brashares




Publisher: Delacorte Press
Released: 2014
Pages: 192
Source: Publisher
Rating: 3.5/5

Prenna, a young girl from the future was born in a world riddled by plague, and desolated her population. In order to survive, she’s gone back in time and lives within a small community that has very strict rules. They’re hoping to makes some changes to make their world a better place in the future. Her two younger brothers succumbed to the blood plague in her time period, and her father never made it to her current life. She’s alone with her mother, who remains as cold hearted and distant as possible. Her mother is following the rules, Prenna is struggling. Prenna must fit in with her peers , assimilate, and not draw any attention to herself. She must never fall in love, and focus on the task at hand. She had every intention to follow the rules, but lately a boy has caught her attention, and he knows a lot more about her life than she expected. 

When I picked up The Here and Now I was looking for something to switch gears from the book I read previously. It’s been awhile since I picked up a YA book of this nature, and I didn’t really expect much. This book is fast paced, and enjoyable but not very complex compared to other YA storylines.  Brashares succeeds in depicting a realistic future, but she doesn’t elaborate on the time travel aspect of the novel. I felt like she gave just enough to keep readers going, but not having to really give any indepth analysis. 

Ann Brashares wrote The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and she really stole my heart with that series. The Here and Now is completely different and not in the same category. This book really felt like it was lacking certain elements. The love story isn’t really convincing, and I never felt the passion. I did enjoy the book. I thought it was a fast read, and if you’re looking for something not too complex, you might want to give this one a try. I’m happy I read it but wouldn’t mark it among my favorites. 

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read any Ann Brashares yet. I know the Traveling Pants series is really popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read I Am Memory. That was pretty good. I like time travel so I might look this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one and really liked it. I read it in one sitting when I took the train back from BEA in NY.

    ReplyDelete