Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Review: Never Never by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher Part 1


Publisher: Hoover Ink
Released: 2015
Source: Personal Copy
Pages: 159
Rating: 3/5

Never Never was published in two installments, the first installment was released in January and the second will be released in May. I kept reading rave reviews, and decided I wanted a quick read and would give this a try. I started off really enjoying it. Two character’s, Charlie and Silas cannot remember anything, and both realize that their memories begin at the same time, when a girl drops her books on the classroom floor. They decide to confide in each other and not tell anyone about their lost memories. They quickly learn that they were in a relationship and try to put together the pieces of their past.

This book is told in two perspectives both Charlie’s and Silas’. Charlie goes home to a sister who has issues with her, and an alcoholic mother. Something happened between her and Silas’ family but both of them are not sure what it is. They know it was serious, because Charlie’s father is in prison due to a business situation between the families. Silas wants to protect Charlie and he wants to love her, but he doesn't know how to connect with her. Silas lives a privileged life, and tries really hard not to allow those around him to understand what is happening with him.

Towards the end of the first installment, I started not enjoying it because I felt like I didn't really get anywhere in the book. Nothing was solved or somewhat solved. I was thrown for a loop and the story line made even less sense. I really want to read the next installment because I liked both characters and want to see how this turns out. I certainly didn't love this installment as much as others, but I am intrigued.

I loved that this was published in installments. I remember a professor telling the class that Dickens novels at the time were published serially and people would have to wait and wait for the next part. Fans would write to Dickens and tell him what to do with his characters. I think reading in installments is a great experience. I’m glad we don’t have to wait too long. I really hope the ending of this part starts to make more sense and I can connect with the characters again.


No comments:

Post a Comment