Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Toddler Sleep


Isn't he cute?? Yes! He'll be 2 in December. Caleb is 23 months, and he doesn't sleep through the night. When he was an infant, I tried everything to get him to sleep in his crib/bassinet. I spent months not sleeping at night, and sleeping when he slept during the day. As soon  as I put him in his bed, he woke up. I spent many nights, crying and wondering when this would get easier. It only began to get easier when I put him in bed with us. Caleb is still sleeping in our bed, I honestly don't mind him in bed with us but I wish he would sleep through the night. On a good night, he still wakes up 1-2 times a night. Recently, with the time change he's ready to start his day at 4am. He's one of those kids that wakes up at the same time regardless of what time he goes to bed. He currently has an ear infection, and the last two nights have been rough. I work full time, and some days I wonder how I do it. It's been 23 months of broken sleep. 

As soon as I mention that Caleb doesn't sleep his nights, it seems like I'm the only one. Everyone has had sleeping babies since they've been 8 weeks old. I don't get it. I've tried everything except crying it out. I spent two weeks sitting by his crib at night, waiting for him to fall asleep on his own. I did this before I started back to work, and honestly it got worst as time when on. He'd fall back asleep but he would get up within the hour, we'd start over and did this night after night. I gave up and we went back to cosleeping. I'm really happy my husband is okay with co-sleeping. I know eventually he'll sleep his nights, but I don't feel like it'll be any time soon. 

Caleb started teething early, he had two bottom teeth poke through at 4 months old. I've always thought maybe he had trouble sleeping because he was a early teether. His last molar came out about a month ago, I'm hoping this will help. I don't want to feel like a failure because my kid doesn't sleep his nights, but I can't help feeling like that. I feel like I'm the only one. I have no advice to give on this topic, but when I look at sleep articles, I feel like I've tried it all. 

I'm hoping that this post will relate to someone. Let them know they're not alone, and neither am I. If you had a toddler who got up through the night, did you just have to wait it out? I can't look at any more sleep articles because they just frustrate me. 



3 comments:

  1. You're not a failure - every kid is different. When he's a teenager, he'll want to sleep all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every child is different. You are not a failure. And when he's all grown up, you'll probably miss these days a little bit. Hang in there momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're definitely not a failure! My kids are amazing kids, quick learners and terrible sleepers so I can totally relate. My daughter, who was 2.5 when my son was born didn't sleep through the night until after he was born. I was already used to sleepless nights so waking up for my new born's multiple feedings were a breeze.

    We did finally get her sleeping through the night and in her own room once we bought her a "big girl" bed. We let her choose her bed, pick her sheets and even test her own pillows. From there we got her into a routine that made her room fun. There were nights where she sometimes gets up in the middle of the night, but we make sure to bring her back to her room.

    Our problem now is with the little guy. He was sick for a couple months on and off and it made it easier to put him in our bed. He reacts similar to Caleb when we try and put him back in the crib. So, just like you, the sleepless nights continue. I totally feel for you, but remember in the end, it will get better. You just need to find what's right for your son and only you know what's best. He'll come around when he's ready. Good luck & hang in there!

    ReplyDelete