Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review: Of All The Stupid Things by Alexandra Diaz




Publisher: Egmont 
Pages: 258 
Source: Publisher 


I didn't know what to expect from "Of All The Stupid Things." Quickly, I began to enjoy the novel and enjoyed each character. Three friends Tara, Whitney Blair and Pinkie have been friends since Tara found Whitney Blaire stuck in a tree many years ago. They've known in each since their were little, and high school is threatening to tear their friendships apart. The story is told from alternating perspectives and we get to see each girls fears and hopes. The story is engrossing and believable. High school emotions are running wild as each girls faces her own issues. Whitney Blair has parents who are never home, a note left in the kitchen is few and far between and she really wants to help Tara as much as Tara doesn't want her help. Pinkie is the mother hen of the group. Her own mother died many years ago, but her mother's grave still haunts her. Afraid to do anything that would make her friends angry at her Pinkie is always over thinking her actions. Tara is the athlete. She is dating the jock of the school, but when rumours of him having an affair with a guy cheerleader emerges Tara can not cope with her mental images. When a new girl named Riley appears at school Tara is captivated by her. Tara doesn't know what to think about her emotions. 

Overall, I enjoyed the book. I did feel like there was a lot of story lines taking place. Some I could have done without, it was a little dramatic and unconvincing. Maybe if the book was longer and the characters were more developed it would have been more conceivable. However, the book was fast paced and the alternating perspectives enjoyable. When I started reading I was determined not to like Whitney Blaire, but I really began to like her character and I felt for her. I would recommend this book, a good Young Adult novel. 

14 comments:

  1. It sounds like it could have used a little editing, but it's still worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it could be a good book. It's funny how many YA books conveniently find ways to take parents out of the picture: dead parents, absent parents, non-caring parents. I think this falls into that mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a new book to me, and it sounds really great! Thank you for sharing your review and for putting it up on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often find that multiple perspectives in a book make for under-developed characters. It just seems to be one of the hazards of crowding too many points of view into one small space. This one is new to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have a hard time with this book if there were too many storylines all competing for attention, but I admit that I do have some interest in the book. It would probably be a great book to share with my daughter. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us today, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe, maybe not. But at least I got to read a review of this book since I had not seen it around before

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I adore the cover for this one! Even though I'm crazy and don't like cherries, the use of them to make a heart is so cute! I love little things like that! :)

    Awesome review, Mrs. Q! It seems like a really interesting book, even with the multiple perspective thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never heard about this book before O_O

    Thanks for sharing. Sound interesting. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this book, but I like the cover. Sounds pretty interesting. I'll add it to my to-read list

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's very rare when i run across a book with multiple storylines that i like. usually i'll only like one story line and want to skip the other parts of the book. i'm happy to see though that despite the down sides of the book you still enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one sounds like an interesting book and I like that it seems to focus on the girls' personal lives and their friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been very on the fence about this one, I may need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one is completely new to me - will look to see more on it via Goodreads next.

    ReplyDelete