Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Reading Resolutions for 2015



This past year reading and blogging was put on a back burner while I spent my days with Caleb. I've already posted about him not being a good sleeper. (He actually slept through the night last night) Since I've been back to work, I realized that I have more time to read. I'm commuting to work, and have lunches and breaks that I can devote to reading.  I've been thinking about what I choose to read, and how the blogging community really influences what I read. Social media is addictive and I tend to pick up books that I see others raving about. That's great but before I was a blogger, I read whatever I came across and I read a lot of classics. I miss those books. I tend to not pick up books that have been on my tbr list for years, and opt for the newer read. I would really like to change that in 2015. I want to try and be a more well rounded reader. I would like to read or reread some classics, find some great Canadian reads, and not be afraid to pick up those chunksters.

I'm a huge Gilmore Girls fan and I've been re-watching the series on Netflix. THANK YOU Netflix! I realized that I was the type or reader that Rory is, and I miss that. I remember picking up The Bell Jar and The Virgin Suicides and being completely absorbed in those reads. I just think I'm missing out on some great reads because I'm choosing only newly released books. 

Here is a list of my resolutions

1- Don't be afraid of chunksters
2- Read more Canadian Fiction
3- Be a more diverse reader
4- Classics, it's okay to read and review them
5- The books that have been on my tbr list for years still deserve to be read

Overall, I would like seek out books that I would normal pass over. 


What are some of your favorite backlist titles?


7 comments:

  1. I adored Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani - it has stuck with me for years. Good luck with your resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great resolutions. I really should make an effort to read more Canadian fiction, too. I've been trying to make a dent in my TBR pile, but I seem to always go for new releases too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for backlist titles, I'm working my way through historical fiction author Elizabeth Chadwick's books. She definitely knows how to tell a good story, and her attention to historical detail is impressive.

      Delete
    2. I don't think I've read many of her books. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  3. Those are wonderful resolutions! My TBR pile keeps growing and the older books just keep getting older. I need to get more of them read next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great list of resolutions and are quite similar to the ones I made for myself this year.

    Reading to my 2 year old is actually what got me back into reading. I was commenting on how many books she had and she simply asked, "Where are your books mommy?", and that jump started it all.

    Best of luck with your goals and the return to work!

    ReplyDelete