Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Canada Reads Day 2 Reaction



I watched Day 2 yesterday evening. I was at home with a sick toddler and didn't get a chance to watch during the day. I thought Day 2 was another great day of debates. I was surprised to see Bone and Bread voted off. I'm always shocked by the votes because the debate doesn't seem to clue me into who will be voted off. The vote seems to come out of left field.

I wanted to touch on the remarks about what makes a Canadian novel Canadian. I wholeheartedly feel that a Canadian writer is what makes a Canadian book Canadian. It doesn't matter what country the book is set in, it doesn't matter what genre. I really disagree with Bruce Poon Tip The Hero's Walk should be on India reads. That really bothered me.

Clara Hughes is so passionate and a great debater. She makes me relive reading The Illegal again. Vinay Virmani is my favorite debater. He's defending my favorite book and he really seems to know what he's talking about. Bruce Poon Tip keeps talking about Birdie and it being relevant today. I agree that we have so many issues in Canada regarding First Nations People but I don't believe Birdie is the book to fix this. Why? because I struggled to get through it. I found it confusion and couldn't figure out who was who. If people can't get through the book. If they toss it aside, what will they learn from  it? I think a book really need to be accessible to make an impact.

Did you watch Day 2? What were your thoughts?


1 comment:

  1. I am inclined to agree with you on what makes - really - a *Whatever* writer *Whatever*! One should be able to distinguish between say a Canadian *writer* and a Canadian or not-Canadian storyline, in my opinion (agreeing with you).

    ReplyDelete