Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Monday, January 29, 2018

Review: Without Merit by Colleen Hoover

Without Merit by Colleen Hoover
Goodreads Description:

Not every mistake deserves a consequence. Sometimes the only thing it deserves is forgiveness.

The Voss family is anything but normal. They live in a repurposed church, newly baptized Dollar Voss. The once cancer-stricken mother lives in the basement, the father is married to the mother’s former nurse, the little half-brother isn’t allowed to do or eat anything fun, and the eldest siblings are irritatingly perfect. Then, there’s Merit.

Merit Voss collects trophies she hasn’t earned and secrets her family forces her to keep. While browsing the local antiques shop for her next trophy, she finds Sagan. His wit and unapologetic idealism disarm and spark renewed life into her—until she discovers that he’s completely unavailable. Merit retreats deeper into herself, watching her family from the sidelines when she learns a secret that no trophy in the world can fix.

Fed up with the lies, Merit decides to shatter the happy family illusion that she’s never been a part of before leaving them behind for good. When her escape plan fails, Merit is forced to deal with the staggering consequences of telling the truth and losing the one boy she loves.

Thoughts:

Being a teenager is hard, and when your family life is not going smooth, it's even harder. The Voss family dynamic is very unique. Without Merit was a shift for Colleen Hoover in terms of her writing. I've been feeling like I've outgrown Young Adult books but this one was enjoyable. I don't believe she's written many young adult books. It wasn't my favorite Colleen Hoover book, but I thought it had an interesting take on teenagers and perception. Often times, we think we know it all and only when something is spelled out and put in front of you, do you finally see the truth. 

Merit is an angry, lost teenager, left to her own devices and she's sinking-fast. As a reader, you really care for Merit. In true Colleen Hoover style the plot twists and you're taken along for a ride. Merit's family life is all about secrets and not burdening others with your troubles. Her crush on her twin sister's boyfriend doesn't help the family situation. Her relationship with her siblings is almost non existent. She loves her Dad but has so much frustration towards him for divorcing for her mom. When the truth is uncovered, it really makes you think about what you're missing when always assuming you know best. 

If you've read Colleen Hoover before, this book does read more a younger audience. It was fast paced, and interesting but it wasn't my favorite book of hers. I would not recommend that this be your first Colleen Hoover book. It Ends With Us is probably my favorite. This is a great self discovery book and will make you think.



Source: Library

5 comments:

  1. I've still yet to read a Colleen Hoover novel (sad I know) but I do hope to change that this year. Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard mixed things about this one, but I'm glad you liked it. I still need to read something by Hoover!!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only Colleen Hoover I've read is It Ends With Us, and I loved it! I'm not too sure about this one though. I'm kind of over YA, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Colleen Hoover but I am totally with you about outgrowing the YA genre. I still like YA every now and again, but in general I find myself getting annoyed with the teenage angst and often there are just SO many miscommunications, unspoken words, and strange choices that I find hard to relate to.

    ReplyDelete