Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Review: The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey

I’m currently reading “The Linen Queen” by Patricia Flavey and I’m really enjoying it. “The Yellow House” was one of my first review books, and I immediately fell in love with it. It was one of those books that I couldn’t put down. Any minute I could get free, I was grabbing the book and reading a few lines. I will have my review of “The Linen Queen” up shortly. In the meantime, I wanted to share my review of “The Yellow House.”


Title: The Yellow House
Author: Patricia Falvey
Publisher: Hachette Books
Pages. 329
Source: Publisher

“The Yellow House” takes place during revolutionary Ireland during the early twentieth century. Eileen O’Neil’s family has been torn apart. Her youngest sister Lizzie has died from the fever, buried by the hospital and no one knows where her body lays. Her mother becomes distraught and decides to leave the family, taking her older son Frankie with her. She admits Frankie is not fathered by her husband Tom and gives Eileen the choice to stay or come along. Eileen is divided but decides to stay and take care of her father and newborn brother Paddy. Shortly after, her father is shot and killed during political unrest and Eileen is suddenly alone running away from the revolutionaries with Paddy. Through all of life's challenges and obstacles Eileen holds on to the dream of mending her broken family. She believes her mothers mental illness is only temporary, and soon she will be able to reunite them and have them all living together under the roof of the yellow house once again.

Throughout the novel Eileen’s patience and hopes are constantly tested. While working in a textile mill, she catches the eye of the Owen Sheridan. Owen’s parents are the mill owners and Quakers who believe in prohibition and non-violence. Owen is the prodigal son trying to find his way in the world. He enlists in the War much to his parents dismay and Eileen tries to determine how she feels about Owen. When he returns from war engaged, Eileen decides she must move on with her life. Eileen becomes actively involved in the fight for independence and marries a fellow activist James Conlon. James believes the cause comes before all else, and soon Eileen is on her own again to raise their daughter. The twists don’t end here...

The Yellow House is an extraordinary tale. I loved it!! It kept me guessing until the end, so many twists and unexpected turns. I don’t want to give away any spoilers! Falvey has written a great page turner with intelligently plotted characters. I will be on the look out for more of her books. She did not disappoint. I kept rooting for Eileen throughout the novel. So many secrets are uncovered. Honestly, it was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment