Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Review: The Help by Kathryn Stockett


Publisher: Penguin
Source: Personal Copy
Pages: 544


The Help is an astounding debut novel told from three very different perspectives. Kathryn Stockett has produced a modern classic of hope, courage, and independence. Once readers dive in, they will immediately be captivated and taken for an emotional ride, not wanting to miss a page. Readers are brought to Jackson, Mississippi during the 1960’s and prejudices are an everyday norm. The civil rights movement is in full bloom. Skeeter, a recent Ole Miss graduate is trying to make it as a journalist, and being a woman makes it that much more impossible. She’s offered a homemaker column, but knows nothing about cleaning. Hoping to write a more substantial topic, Skeeter receives some great advice from a woman in publishing- she is told to write about a topic that hasn’t been written before. Skeeter has a vision to expose the treatment of black maids in the white households. Raised by a black maid, she knows the impact these maids have on the children. Skeeter is appalled when her friends begin to install separate out-door bathrooms for the maids-insisting that it is needed to prevent diseases. Coming out and telling her friends that this is wrong, would surely cast her out of the community. Knowing that this project could potentially endanger those involved, Skeeter will publish anonymously. However, encouraging the maid’s to speak will not be an easy task. Aibileen is the first to agree to assist with the project, and eventually Aibileen is able to onboard Minny. Both maids’ are skeptical since they are unveiling stories from Skeeter’s world, many of them close friends but they bravely go forth with the project as tensions rise in their communities.


I bought this book when it first came out, but I kept putting off reading it. I’m not sure why exactly, maybe I was cynical of all the hype but I’m so sorry that I waited so long. This book has spent many weeks on the bestseller list, and deservingly so. Kathryn Stockett is an incredible writer, with a fascinating ability to engage readers. From the first page, to the last I was rooting for Skeeter. Aibileen, Minny and Skeeter were all in my thoughts when I closed the book. I loved Skeeter’s independence and defiant nature, especially given the times. When her mother is insisting she settle down and marry, Skeeter doesn’t want to settle. She dreams of a different world, but needs to remain central in her world. She’s pulled in two directions, and risks everything. Aibileen and Minny are not as sullen as you would expect. There was never a dull moment, and I read compulsively. If you’ve been putting this book off, I suggest you pick it up and being the first few pages…you’re going to be hooked. I do admit, the end was not what I wanted but honestly but that doesn’t make this any less of a novel.

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like it! Sometimes I stay away from all the hype-up books too... and it did take me a while to read this one (maybe half a year? not as long as you :) but I am glad I read it too and also wondered why I waited... I read before I started blogging, and wish I had blogged then to collect my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too. You need to get PK to read it now so y'all can see the movie together. I saw a screening last week and they did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book when it first came out and loved it. Surprisingly, I have read a lot controversial reviews on it. I thought it was a good depiction of the sixties.Good review.Love your blog and I'm a new GFC follower from Book blogs. Hope you'll have a moment to visit and follow my blog. I write book reviews and stories about my crazy life. Hope to see you soon. Donna
    http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started this one and didn't get very far. It just didn't grab me. It's still sitting on my shelf and I know I need to revisit it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book! I read it back when it first came out, and thought it was pretty great. I can't wait to see the movie as well. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read this book and feel a little thrill of excitement each time I read a good review for it. I haven't picked it up yet but you have certainly convinced me to do so soon. And my mom want to see the movie so I think I'll be treating her to that when it is released!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to reread this book. I loved it and can't wait for the movie! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I probably won't be seeing the movie in the theaters, but I still want to read this before I see it. I've been dragging my heels, too, but not sure why. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no.... NOW I really have to push this book UP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did the same thing with this one; I kept putting off getting it, and then when I got it, I put off reading it, but once I opened it, it just flew! It really IS a great book, and well worth the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathryn Stockett writes her story in three distinct voices--Skeeter's, Aibileen's and Minny's. Her expert depiction of Southern dialect adds flare to an already gripping story. I even read parts aloud in order to savor the flavor of the South.

    This book is an excellent read, one I will come back to again and again.
    Raleigh HOA Management company

    ReplyDelete