Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Review: Rumor by Jill Mansell



Title: Rumor Has It 
Author: Jill Mansell 
Publisher: Sourcebooks 
Pages: 404 
Source: Publisher (ARC) 



Tilly Cole is suddenly single, and not broken up about it. After walking into her apartment and noticing only selected items were missing, she figures it is time to move on. She's the type of girl who doesn't break up with men, she forces them to break up with her. Tilly's latest surprise breakup has put her in a predicament. She does not have the means to sustain her apartment. A roommate is not an option when you have a one bedroom apartment. Unsure of what to do, Tilly visits her best friend who lives outside the city and on a whim becomes the newest resident. After viewing a strange ad in the classified section she accepts a job as a 'girl-friday.' Her newest employer is an interior designer named Max and his teenage daughter Lou. Tilly's new life is full of surprises. Her best friend Erin is dating a wonderful man. However, he is in the middle of a divorce. His wife is not the forgiving type, and decides to harass and taint Erin's reputation. In a small town, gossip is a way of life. It spreads rapidly and easily. Tilly has fallen for Jack, the most desirable man in town. Jack has quite the reputation with the ladies. Every woman wants him, and it seems like every woman has had him. When he begins to notice Tilly, she's not sure if she is a pawn in his game. 'Rumor Has It' is a story filled with misunderstandings, coincidences and small town charm. 

This was my first Jill Mansell book, and I loved it! The cast of characters was great and each subplot was engaging. All the characters were exceptional. Stella, the divorcee was adamant about getting her husband back. Once she learned about Erin, she is livid and her dreams of children are crushed. She decides to take action, and she sets out to ruin Erin. I wanted to dislike Stella, but I really felt bad for her. Max was a great character. He's an interior designer, father to a teenager and recently divorced. After years of marriage, he's decided to stop lying and admit he's gay. Max's ex-wife is distraught and wonders what she did wrong. She decides to move to Hollywood to pursue her acting career. In Hollywood the tabloids love to build you up and tear you down. After an unfortunate accident with a Chihuahua, Kaye cannot escape the tabloids. Mansell keeps the reader engaged and speculating. Is Jack really who he seems to be? Is Stella really as horrible as she seems? Does Tilly get her happy ending? You'll have to read it for yourself, and I recommend that you do!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see you loved this book. I don't read much "chick lit" but Mansell totally rocks the genre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try this author out as well. I'm finding I'm loving authors from across the pond more and more. So I'll have to give her a try one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few of Mansell's books but have yet to get to read them. This does sound like it would be a great summer read. I hope I get time to read one of her books soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love Mansell so I am glad you enjoyed your first book with her! I haven't read this one yet so I need to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fab. I read her latest (my first by her) earlier in the year and really enjoyed it so must add this one to the list too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember how you loved this one. I promise to try her one one day. I have to give Mansell a try.

    ReplyDelete