Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Review: Forgotten by Cat Patrick



Publisher: Little Brown
Source: Publisher
Pages: 304
Forgotten is a great debut novel that will leave readers wanting to flip the pages as fast as possible. It may seem like just another book dealing with "memory loss"  but it is an original, unique debut novel. Since London Lane was 6 years old, she has had to deal with a very peculiar problem at precisely 4:33 am London Lane's memories are erased each day, her mind resets and her yesterday is gone. She must rely on detailed notes and her best friend Jamie to begin a new day as normal as possible, convincing everyone around her that she is just forgetful, not damaged. Her note book and cellphone can get her through most days, but lack of details and London may wear the same thing as yesterday, forget her gym clothes, forget a test or forget those around her. Another key trait about London is the fact that she can view glimpses from the future. This helps her gets through by remembering things from the future, she knows her mother, her locker combination and her best friend since they all remain in her future she has no issues knowing who or what they are in the morning. Life gets a little more complicated when Luke Henry comes to town, and London really doesn't want to forget who he is. While she can't seem to see him in her future, she hopes there is a mistake or something that she is missing. London and Luke bond despite her worries however, Jamie and London's friendship falls apart. Jamie struggles with having a friend who can see her future and wants to protect her. Jamie demands that London leave her learn her life lessons on her own. A book that deals with everyday struggles, made all the more complicated by amnesia. 
I really enjoyed "Forgotten" it was a fast-paced read and I haven't read a book like this in awhile. I really loved the characters- London is such an enjoyable character, I was rooting for her from the beginning. I loved Luke and thought there was something more to his story- I was right. I struggled with Jamie, I guess she is just the frustrated teenager who believes she knows best. I did find some holes in the story, I wasn't sure how London could wake up every morning and not be completely astray. It might have something to do with the memories she does hold but I wanted more explanations. Many twists and turns are quickly settled and a great mystery is uncovered. Cat Patrick did a great job, she will leave you wondering "what if." This debut novel is entrancing, absorbing and one you won't want to pass up. 
     

8 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read this one for a while. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memory seems to be a big topic in books these days. This one sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fascinating. Would make life so much more difficult waking up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no... another one to BUY! I knew this one would win you over since it has been getting such amazing reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting premise. I can see why it had you flipping the pages :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having recently read "Before I Go to Sleep" (LOVED it) and seeing reviews for this YA version with a similar premise, I have already put this one on my wishlist. Your review makes me want to toss it straight to my to-buy list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a copy of this book but haven't read it yet, glda you like it! It reminds me of Before I Go To Sleep Too.

    ReplyDelete