Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Review: Push by Sapphire



Publisher: Vintage Books 
Source: Personal Copy 
Pages. 178 

Push is an emotional, raw, and heart-breaking novel. Claireece Precious Jones lives a life that no one wants to hear about. Precious has repeatedly been molested by her father, pregnant at twelve and again at sixteen. Precious doesn't know where to turn or who to ask for help. Her mother is not the nurturing type; she's actually jealous of the attention Precious receives from Carl. She accuses Precious of stealing her husband and repeatedly beats her. Precious is aware that her life is not normal, she is aware that there are parents in this world who love their children. She is just not sure why she was given this set of parents. She wishes she weren't invisible, she wishes she wasn't fat and ugly. She wants more for herself and her children. Her mother gave her daughter to her grandmother but Precious refuses to give up her son. Eventually she enrols in an alternative school, but continues to struggle through life. 

I had a hard time reading this novel; emotionally I didn't know if I could continue. At one point I put it down and felt like crying. I couldn't believe the storyline, knowing full well that this does happen in real life. Precious was so young and tried to seek help but was pushed away from everyone. The vulgar language was very raw and disturbing for me. This book throws the harsh realities of life at you. I kept reading because I was rooting for Precious, I felt so sad and angry for her. Highly recommended, but beware this book brings you on an emotional roller coaster. 

5 comments:

  1. Great review! This book was shocking and emotional. I hurt for Precious as I read it. You need to see the movie now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emotional roller-coaster, sounds like my type of books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read Kathy's review on the author's book The Kid. It's about Precious' son and the plot seems really heart wrenching like Push. I remember seeing the movie and the sense of being overwhelmed by Precious' life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to this one a couple of months ago on audiobook and loved it. I agree with everything you said about it. While it's amazing, it's hard to read sometimes. It's so "in your face." I haven't seen the movie yet, and I'm a little nervous to see it. If it comes even close to the raw-ness of the book, it might be hard to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the book, but I did see the movie Precious, and I can only imagine that the book is even more raw and heart-breaking (especially with the knowledge that there really ARE parents this horrid out there).

    ReplyDelete