Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Monday, August 8, 2011

Review: Sea Witch by Helen Hollick



Publisher: Silverwood Books
Pages: 316
Source: Publicist


Jesamiah Acorne is a young, handsome pirate living life carefree. At the age of fifteen, Jesamiah has escaped his bullying older half-brother Phillippe and began to live a life at sea. Life as he knew it was great, he was a strong, successful pirate sure of himself, until an attack on a merchant ship off the South of Africa goes wrong. What he thought would be an easy win, turned difficult. As his ship is under fire by the Christina Giselle, Jesamiah notices Tiola, a young, beautiful girl on the merchant ship gazing at him. Although it seems that she is a young, innocent, insignificant girl, Tiola is an old soul trapped in a young body harboring the gift of “the craft.” As she doesn’t want him to remember her, she puts a quick spell on him. Their paths soon cross again, and Jesamiah discovers who she really is- a healer, midwife and white witch. Tiola orphaned, and alone tries to provide for her handler as a midwife. Jesamiah is constantly on her mind, she became smitten at first glance. When he appears to be endanger she must use her supernatural skills and brave the unknown. Jesamiah and Tiola soon fall in love, and must escape to the sea to flee a dangerous suitor and Jesamiah’s brother Philippe. 
Jesamiah and Tiola were my favorite characters, and i’m really happy to have the 2nd and 3rd book waiting for me to read. I’m really excited to continue on this journey. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I love Helen Hollick and wanted to take a chance on this one. I didn’t think a “pirate” story would appeal to me, but I loved the characters. I’m really happy that I gave it a chance. It may be a pirate story, but Helen Hollick is a historical writer and she did her research with this one as well. She has an incredible ability to create her characters and their surroundings and throw her readers into this time period. Overall, if you are looking for a fun, historical, love-story you will want to give this one a try. Sea Witch is a wonderful book, and Helen Hollick has amazing skills as a writer. 
Coming shortly, I will review Pirate Code and Bring it Close. 


8 comments:

  1. Jesamiah seems to have made himself quite a hit with various readers - but then, he is a handsome rogue, so that's not surprising really! *laugh*

    thanks for inviting me onto your blog - most kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know lots of people love Hollick's work, but I'm not sure a pirate book is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like I've been seeing pirate books a lot lately. Maybe I'll try one one day. I donno. :]

    Thanks for stopping by my IMM as well!

    ♥ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really fun book and a great new series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is very new to me. I don't know how you do it, I think I'll have to now rename you as Mrs Q the one who reads exciting new books that expand your mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I'll pick up a book that's not my "normal" read, and find myself pleasantly surprised! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you are reading these too :D I read them a few weeks ago. Wohoo pirates!

    ReplyDelete