Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Monday, October 3, 2011

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver





Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages: 480
Source: Personal Ebook

Amor Deliria Nervosa, a disease so strong and powerful society has restructured its regulations around the disease. It has been sixty-four years since politicians have identified love as illegal. Scientists have perfected a cure, a cure that is administered at the age of eighteen rendering its patience incapable of feeling love or strong emotion. The life of a minor includes gender segregation, censorship, and media influence. The life of an adult is fear of the constant raids within the city. Lena is seventeen, weeks away from the cure and enjoying her last few weeks of the summer. Her mother was a victim of Amor Deliria Nervosa committing suicide to escape when the cure failed three times. The suicide is a family embarrassment that Lena has had to endure for many years.  She’s been living with her aunt for many years, and Lena is relieved that she will have the cure administer by the end of summer. When her best friend Hana shows signs of rebellion, Lena cannot understand why she is fighting the system. The cure is inevitable, and meant to harm no one. Lena is a product of her environment and trusts the rules implemented. When Lena meets Alex, she is pleased to find out that he is a cured college student living the life that was assigned to him. When Lena begins to recognize the signs of Amor Deliria Nervosa she is afraid, and confused. Her confusion is heightened when she learns that Alex has many secrets, dire secrets that could be deadly should the government uncover them. Lena must decide if she trusts Alex enough to fulfill his dream of them being together or a government that has been in power for sixty-four years. The Book of SHHH states that victims of the disease will lose their mind and make hasty decisions. Lena must make her decision; for once it has been made she may never go back.


Delirium is an amazing dystopian that will have you on your toes afraid for the characters within the pages.  When closing the pages readers will be blown-away, shocked and distressed. The main characters are sympathetic, real and multi-dimensional. The progression of Lena was well written. We begin the novel with her wholeheartedly believing in her environment and her beliefs do not change overnight.  Lauren Oliver created a haunting story where emotion is lacking on every level. The cure has relinquished society to have the ability to have strong emotions. Parents lack the bonding with their children, their roles as parents solely include duty to the government. Every character in the story was well developed and intriguing. My Special Edition had me running to read the first few pages of Pandemonium.  I’m not really sure how I can wait for the next one to come out; this book was that amazing. This is young adult dystopian at its finest.  The hype for this novel is not unfounded in my opinion.  I’m a reader desperately waiting for the sequel. I bought the Ebook buy a hard-copy is a must.

20 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! I really need to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you know it's good when you want to buy the physical book after reading the e-version! I've had this forever and have never gotten to it. I need to remember to get to it soon because it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one was a little slow for my tastes but I loved the ending, and I'm excited to find out what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also read Delirium on Kindle and got myself a special edition hard copy afterwards. I LOVED it and glad you love it too! I haven't read the first pages of Pandemonium because it's more teasing than I get bare, but I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great. I've heard really good things about it. I love that the character's view points don't change too quickly. More realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this one, too. I loved the way she portrayed love as a sickness. It was really thought-provoking when I thought about all of the stupid, crazy, and sometimes awful things people have done in the name of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved her first book, and everyone says that I really need to read this one as well. I actually just snagged a copy, so I am eager to start with it and see what I think, as I think Oliver has a perfect handle on YA writing. This was a great review, and I am so glad that you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got a copy of this a couple weeks ago, and I'm really looking forward to starting it! I may have to start it sooner than I expected. lol Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked it too and, like you, I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm not totally into dystopians but i've heard this one is great. and i love the new cover!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this book! It's one of my absolute FAVORITES! I'm so excited for Pandemonium!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad to hear this one lives up to its hype. Sometimes hype that's too big makes me leery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked it too :D And I can't wait for book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought this one a few months ago but still haven't read it. I think I may save it for the readathon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh you have me wanting to grab this immediately. The concept for this dystopian is something else, I love the idea behind it. Another to add to the TBR list. I'm happy to be adding more dystopian books, cause I've been wanting to read more beyond THG.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to reread this. I wasn't quite blown away the first time, but that's also how I felt about Before I Fall and then I loved it the second time around. I kind of want the special edition (I have the original cover on my copy)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been putting off reading this book, but your review makes me really want to start it! It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you have sold me on this one. It sounds like the author had really solid character development which, for me, is what really makes a book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was anxious to read this one and after reading your review I now really really want to read it! Some of it reminds me of The Giver, you know, the restraint of love emotions. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, I just ADORED this book! It was so sweet and romantic and beautiful and original! I'm SO glad that you liked it as much as I did!

    Awesome review, Mrs. Q! I'll definitely be waiting for Pandemonium with you! :)

    ReplyDelete