Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Review: The Bird Sisters by Rebecca Rasmussen



Publisher: Crown
Pages: 304
Source: Personal Ebook
Rating: 2.5/5

Goodreads Description:


When a bird flies into a window in Spring Green, Wisconsin, sisters Milly and Twiss get a visit. Twiss listens to the birds' heartbeats, assessing what she can fix and what she can't, while Milly listens to the heartaches of the people who've brought them. These spinster sisters have spent their lives nursing people and birds back to health.

But back in the summer of 1947, Milly and Twiss knew nothing about trying to mend what had been accidentally broken. Milly was known as a great beauty with emerald eyes and Twiss was a brazen wild child who never wore a dress or did what she was told. That was the summer their golf pro father got into an accident that cost him both his swing and his charm, and their mother, the daughter of a wealthy jeweler, finally admitted their hardscrabble lives wouldn't change. It was the summer their priest, Father Rice, announced that God didn't exist and ran off to Mexico, and a boy named Asa finally caught Milly's eye. And, most unforgettably, it was the summer their cousin Bett came down from a town called Deadwater and changed the course of their lives forever.

Rebecca Rasmussen's masterfully written debut novel is full of hope and beauty, heartbreak and sacrifice, love and the power of sisterhood, and offers wonderful surprises at every turn.


Thoughts:


I wanted to love this one, I really did. I think it was very different from what I was expecting, and it never really grabbed my attention. This one just wasn’t for me. I hate when I see rave reviews, and I’m left wondering if I missed something. Maybe this was a case of bad timing, and I should give the book another chance later on. I felt like nothing was really happening and I kept waiting. It did get better, but it seemed too late for me. I didn’t feel invested in the sisters. I felt very impatient. The book jumped back and forth which occasionally confused me. I wanted to keep reading because I’ve heard so many good things about this one, but I felt like I was forcing myself. The writing was beautiful, and I think Rebecca Rasmussen has a lot of potential. I really enjoyed the descriptive writing, but the plot and character development fell short for me. Unfortunately, not every book is for every reader. If you’re curious about this one, if the synopsis sounds interesting…give it a try.

13 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't enjoy this one more, it does sound like a wonderful idea for a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The synopsis does sound tempting and I am sorry you didn't enjoy it. But as you stated not every book is for every reader.

    I hope the next book works out better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually haven't even heard much about this one, so I probably won't seek this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this one a lot! Sorry this didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really bad when you feel like you have to force yourself to finish a book that you are just not enjoying, so I can understand your frustration. It doesn't sound like this is the book for me either, so I will be skipping this one. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate your honest review. I won a copy of this book several months ago and look forward to reading it. Sounds like it builds slowly, so I'll keep that in mind when I get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is beautiful and the synopsis sounds interesting. Too bad this didn't work for you, and I can't stand forcing myself to read a book either. I feel like I'm reading in slow motion when I do. Great honest review though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've definitely felt like this before. For me it was The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton. Everyone's reviews were glowing and I picked it up and just couldn't quite get into it. Like you, I kept going thinking it would pick up and it just never did for me and I finished it thinking I had read a different book from everyone else. That just happens sometimes I think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book but like you say, every book is not for every reader. Sorry you didn't enjoy it and hope your next read is better. I know what you mean about not enjoying a book hat has gotten so many rave reviews. I always feel like I must have missed something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi from your newest reader! I have been surfing all around the web this morning and came across your blog. So glad I did! Really enjoying your reviews, and can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll pass. Sorry this one disappointed you. I too hate when I read rave reviews for a book and once I read it can't understand why the reviews are so favorable. While the synopsis sounds a bit interesting, I'll have to trust your judgement on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry you didn't like this one :( I know what you mean about reading raving review and not liking it when you read it yourself. I think I'm going to skip this book. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one IS on my list, but I've also read some mixed reviews. Sometimes the writing style can be lovely, but in my opinion, if the story isn't there, the writing ... well, it doesn't matter.

    To paraphrase Stephen King: With a good STORY, the reader is able to overlook writing flaws (look at Twilight for an example), but even the best writing can't make a bad storyline interesting.

    ReplyDelete