Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Review: Legend by Marie Lu



Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Pages 336
Source: Personal Ebook


Agent June Iparis is the only person to have scored a perfect 1500 on the trials. The Republic believes that they must use her intelligent mind to further their cause. June is observant, calculating and rebellious. The Republic strives to keep her in check. When Day, the most wanted criminal escapes once again, the Republic graduates June early and assigns her on the case. June's brother and only family member has just been killed, apparently at the hands of Day and now the two 15 year olds are pitted against one another. June knows that Day has never killed before, usually stealing from the rich and giving to the poor but this time her brother is dead and June vows to give Day what he deserves. She will do anything and everything to bring him in.

 Day is the notorious Republic criminal, displayed on every jumbotron, but never presented correctly. The Republic has no idea who Day really is, the only person not to have fingerprints listed in the system and the only person to escape the Republic's scrupulous system . Day comes from the destitute, plague-ridden sector, his home has recently been marked with a red "x" demonstrating that someone in the household has been diagnosed with the plague. Day is living on the streets, his mother believes he's dead but Day keeps a close eye on his family. It's now or never, Day must find a way to cure whoever is sick. Agent June Iparis may be the mastermind of the Republic but deep down she is a girl missing her deceased parents and brother. She grew up in the wealthy sector, but wealth will never bring back her family. She's lonely, and beginning to question her world.

 Legend has received a lot of buzz, and it deserves all the praise it has received. Marie Lu created a captivating, original, and fascinating read. Readers who are looking for a page turner, need to look no further. Legend has all the makings of a great story, addicting characters, creative world building, perfect pacing and non-stop action. Two main characters, equally likable and working against each other force readers not to choose one over the other. I quickly began to enjoy the story, and had no clue which direction Lu was going to take her characters. I couldn't choose between Day or June, both had realistic mindsets, and I had to sit back and enjoy the ride. I was at the mercy of Lu, hoping that both characters would have favorable outcomes. Legend is not just another Young Adult Dystopian novel, Legend is authentic and compelling. Legend is the first book in the trilogy and I will eagerly wait for book two to be released in the fall of 2012. This one comes highly recommended.

10 comments:

  1. Melissa @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: Legend by Mari...
    1 day ago · 0 replies · 0 points

    I read this one on New Year's Day, and really enjoyed it. I'm also looking forward to the next book -- here's hoping it won't be too long of a wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mesa @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: Legend by Mari...
    1 day ago · 0 replies · 0 points

    Great review! I really want to check this one out. I didn't know it was a trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi Valentine @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: Legend by Mari... 1 day ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    I TOTALLY AGREE!! Oh my gosh, I fell absolutely in love with this book and I'm so glad you did too! This was one of the books with dual perspectives where I actually loved both narratives equally too, and you hit the mark with this review! It's definitely a book to recommend to all of your friends! ;)

    Amazing review, Mrs. Q! I'll be waiting for the second book with you! :)
    My recent post Favourites Books of 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy_Darling @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: Legend by Mari... 1 day ago · 0 replies · +1 points
    I ended up really enjoying this one, too! Action-packed and full of fun. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jade @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: Legend by Mari... 1 day ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    Dystopian is making quite an impact. I just finished Divergent and loved it. So I'll have to add this one to the list since you highly recommend it. I might wait until the second book is released though so I can jump right into it. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JJ iReads @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: Legend by Mari... 1 day ago · 0 replies · +1 points
    Great review. I won a hardcover of this book in a giveaway and also purchased the audiobook and the ebook, but I still haven't had time to read it. I need to make some time. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: Legend by Mari... 1 day ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    "Legend is authentic and compelling"

    AWESOME! I can't wait to get to this one, I've read such good things about it. I love the sound of both main characters, and I love when I'm on the edge of my seat while reading, hoping, wishing, and praying for things to end well for them. Fantastic review Jennifer, I'm really looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. zibilee @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: Legend by Mari... 1 day ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    Oh, I am so glad that I won this one in a giveaway a few months ago, as it sounds very good, and exceptionally interesting. I am glad to hear that you loved it and that you are eagerly awaiting the second installment. It's probably going to be a great read for me too. Wonderful review today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harvee @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: Legend by Mari... 1 day ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    This is not normally the genre I read but it sounds compelling. You've convinced me to try it!
    My recent post Teaser: Finding My Balance, a Memoir by Mariel Hemingway

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: Legend by Mari... 2 days ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    This sounds good! I'm going to look for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete