Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer



Publisher: MacMillan
Released: 2013
Pages: 464
Source: Personal Copy
Rating: 4/5

***Warning- Second book in the series***

Review of Cinder

Synopsis:

In Scarlet, the second book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder is trying to break out of prison. She understands that her chances of survival are slim; she’ll be the commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive. Cinder has the ability to use her lunar ability to glamour those around her, but her skills are new and limited. She doesn’t want people to fear her, and she doesn’t want to be discovered as the lost Princess Selene. Her own aunt, tried to kill her once and she knows she will attempt it again, if given the chance.

Scarlet Benoit begins to play an important role in the Lunar chronicles. He grandmother is missing, and no one seems to believe her that foul play is involved. Her grandmother would never run off. Scarlet meets Wolf, a street fighter who offers Scarlet some information.

Review:

I really enjoyed the second book in the series, it took me awhile to understand how Scarlet would play into the novel. Her grandmother has been keeping a lot of secrets, which Scarlet and Cinder separately begin to unravel. Scarlet is action packed, and the new characters are really interesting. Scarlet loves her grandmother, and desperately wants to find her. She’s willing to risk her own life, and the only clues she has about her grandmother’s whereabouts come from her alcoholic father.

Meyer is great with world building, readers dive right back into her futuristic Cinderella retelling. The classic tales are the backbone to the story, but Meyer story is original and refreshing. The only reason why I didn’t give this book five stars is because it’s the middle of the series and I have a lot of questions. I believe two more books are scheduled for the series. If you enjoyed the first book, you’ll love this one as well. Highly recommending for young adult fans. 

7 comments:

  1. I still have to read the first book, but its good to know the second is good too. I only skimmed through your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too. I think she does a great job integrating the fairy tales on the one hand, and the books with each other on the other hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one last month! I had to re-read cinder first! I love this series! Can't WAIT for book 3!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize this follows Cinder. I am so out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the first book, and need to see if I can get to this one soon. It sounds amazing, and like the author took pains to make her characters as real and engaging as they were in the first book. Great job with this review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you enjoyed this one as I have it on my stacks just waiting for me to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed it a lot but I think it suffers from some middle-of-a-series problems.

    ReplyDelete