Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Monday, June 1, 2015

May Wrap Up


I had a strange reading month, I wanted to like the books I was reading but I seemed to be picking up the wrong books. I would say I only really enjoyed 3 of the 7 books I read this month. I loved The One and Only Ivan, To Selena, with Love, and What Alice Forgot. I really hope June is a better reading month for me. I currently have 30 books read for the year and my goal was set for 50.

99 Days 3/5 Stars

I read and loved Katie Cotugno's first book, and I was really excited about 99 Days. Unfortunately, I really didn't like. The main character felt dramatic, and very over the top for me. She cheated on her boyfriend, with his brother and then ran away to boarding school. She's now back for the summer. I just couldn't enjoy this one.

The One and Only Ivan 5 Stars

The One and Only Ivan was so great, and adorable. I loved it and would recommend this to everyone. Ivan is a gorilla and he lives in the Big Top Mall. His living conditions are not idea but he has great friends: Stella, an elderly elephant and Bob, a stray dog. When Ivan promises something to Stella, he has to work really hard to make it come true. He has to be brave and courageous. I loved this one!

God Help the Child 3/5 Stars

This is Toni Morrison's newest book. It's set in present day, and deals with how a childhood can shape and effect your adulthood. Your childhood doesn't disappear, it remains with you. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would. It was a quick read, and I'm glad I read it but I was happy to move on.

To Selena, With Love 5/5

I discovered that Selena's husband wrote a book and I couldn't wait to read it. It was really enjoyable, and I read this one in a day. I don't read many books in just one day. Chris brings readers into their world, and how they grew to love each other and live as normal a life as possible. If your a fan of Selena, I would definitely read this one.

The Undomestic Goddess 3/5

I love Sophie Kinsella and I had high expectations for this book, but I disappointed me, It started out strong, but I started to drag on. This is probably just because of my mood at the time, but I didn't like it as much as I wanted to.

What Alice Forgot 5/5

Imagine waking up and realizing that 10 years have passed and you don't remember it. You remember being in love with you husband, and now you learn your divorcing. You have 3 children and you can only remember being pregnant with the oldest. What Alice Forgot was a great read. I loved it and hope to read Big Little Lies soon.

We Were Liars

This was another one that I had high expectations for, but quickly learned that I didn't like the writing style. I couldn't connect with the story and wanted to just finish it. The ending was okay, but I didn't make up for the whole experience. I thought this one was way over hyped.

1 comment:

  1. I go through periods like that and can't ever figure out if it's my mood or the books.

    ReplyDelete