Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand


Publisher: HarperTeen

Pages: 448
Source: Publisher
Clara Gardner goes through her every day life living with a secret. She’s part angel, if you want to get technical, she’s one quarter Angel. Her mother is a half angel, a Dimidius. Angels are stronger, faster, and all-around superior in the human world. They must blend in, but develop amongst the humans. Clara struggles with specifics because her mother provides very little details about this identity, and Clara’s visions are coming fast and strong. Visions provide Angel’s with a purpose, a destiny that must be completed. Clara’s visions are murky and baffling. However, it quickly becomes clear that Clara’s mission is not to be completed in sunny California where she was born and raised. Before Clara has time to sort everything out, her mother uproots the family to Wyoming, where Clara is sure her mission will be played out. Clara has limited view in her visions, but she’s sure her mission consists of Wyoming, a white pick-up truck, and a very attractive teenage boy. Clara’s brother is resentful, but understanding- he knows his unknown purpose will be coming shortly. Now is not the time to strain his relationship with Clara. As Clara tries to settle into life in the mountains, she befriends a classmate who claims to be an Angel as well. An angel with much brighter feathers. Clara’s mother may not want to readily give details, but Angela is very amenable. Clara struggles to get close to her “purpose” and tries to befriend Christian. However, Christian’s girlfriend is not very cordial. Clara is not sure where she stands with him, and at the same time she’s not sure exactly what her purpose is. As Clara struggles to find her inner powers, the visions are becoming clearer, and she’s afraid she will not be ready in time. However, as clear as her visions become they never become lucid.

A fresh, dazzling YA novel. Cynthia Hand produced a wonderful, exhilarating read. A fantastic, unassuming romantic triangle, and honest, quintessential characters. Clara is not your typical heroin, while she is a typical teenager in certain aspects, she must always be worried about her destiny. I really like that this book wasn’t preachy, but the idea of God was addressed. I know there is more than just what is told in the first novel, this will be a trilogy. The development, plot, and pacing was fantastic. Loose ends were carefully left in cessation, leaving the reader wondering about items left unaddressed. I see this trilogy becoming more entwined, and complicated. A great debut novel, and a series to be added to my wish list. If you’re looking for a crisp, and impressive read, I’d pick this one up. On a final note: the cover is beautiful! No picture does it justice.

16 comments:

  1. I really liked this book too and am looking forward to the next one in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have a feeling that this series might be right up my alley, and could be something to share with my daughter. I really loved your review and think you really did the beauty of the book justice. Great and thoughtful review today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the cover is gorgeous too! Why does every book have to be a trilogy these days?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dying from all the questions I left unanswered-I want to know more now! And yet Hallowed isn't due until next year :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this may be a trilogy to put on my wish list. I may wait until the whole trilogy is published to read it though. It's starting to be hard to keep all these trilogy stories straight in my middle aged mind. That cover caught my eye before the whole post was loaded on my computer! It is very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh great review. I loved this one too.

    Have you seen the Aussie cover?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear you liked it! I've wanted to read this and the cover is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did the header look like that yesterday? Or is it just I who is too tired? ;)

    Sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this one on my tbr shelf, and I really REALLY need to read it soon. I just haven't had much time, but I'll definitely push it up. :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't really read a book about angels in years. For this reason alone I am intrigued about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my favorite YA angel book- I'm glad you liked it! I can't wait for Hallowed to come out and I agree with you- gorgeous cover! Great review, Mrs. Q!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been staying away from the whole Angel fad, but this one does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, I absolutely ADORE this book! It's one of my angel favourites ever, and I'm so glad that you liked it! :) I can't wait until Hallowed comes out next year -- it seems so far away!

    Awesome review, Mrs. Q! (LOL that rhymed!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! I must read this book! I think I'm one of the small few that hasn't yet. lol I am hoping to get to it soon! :) Thanks for sharing your review, I'm really excited to check it out now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember how you loved this one - now remind me since I lost track of what I have and don't have... do I have this one???

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed this one. I thought it was very original. And you're right, no picture does the cover justice. This book is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete