Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth




Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 544
Source: Personal Copy
Rating: 5/5

Book 1: Divergent

Synopsis:

In Divergent Tris discovered that she was Divergent, meaning she has an aptitude for more than one faction. Each faction has like-minded citizens, and Tris breaks the mold. She was told to keep it a secret and choose a faction to blend within, she chose Dauntless, a faction that prides themselves on being courageous. When simulations take control of the citizens, Tris discovers that she has the ability to control herself while the simulation takes place around her. Insurgent picks up right after Divergent, Tris and a few others have survived a simulation and have escaped. A possible war looms between factions, and Dauntless has been split apart. The faction has inner turmoil, and Tris, Tobias (Four) and the remaining survivors must fight for what they believe. Tris survived the simulation but now she grapples with grief, and guilt. She has lost her parents, a best friend who she had to defend herself from and life as she knows it, has forever changed. Tris still has Four, but their relationship is currently rocky.



Review:

Insurgent was a great follow up from Divergent. Roth spared readers all of the history, and dived back into the storytelling. I had very little time to read which usually frustrates me, but I sought every opportunity to read Insurgent, and I was very happy to get through it. Tris is my favorite character, and her emotions are so strong and realistic. She is in complete turmoil, as she tries to figure out her new role during this upheaval. She’s lost her parents, and had to kill a best friend who was under a simulation and threatened her life. She has tremendous guilt, and readers see the impact of this on her. Her relationship with Four is shaky, and understandable. Their lives have been turned upside down, and both are defensive and frusterated. They are flawed and real. We see less of them as a couple, and more of them separately, coping with the situation. Roth did an amazing job portraying all of the characters.

This book certainly doesn’t suffer “middle-book” syndrome. It did take me a few chapters to get back into the story, because there is little to no background knowledge. Roth picks up the pace, and continues to build a strong, realistic dystopian society filled with many twists and turns. Divergent was great, and I think I enjoyed Insurgent even more. Roth’s character and world development has really impressed me. If you haven’t read Divergent, please pick it up! Honestly, I can’t wait for the next book in the series.

11 comments:

  1. I have heard so much about this series that I think I am going to have to read one soon to see if I would enjoy them as much as everyone else has. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, you need too! It was one of my favorite reads of 2011.

      Delete
  2. I just ordered this one on Amazon. I am dying to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Divergent, and need to read these back to back. I am so glad that this book didn't suffer the sophomore slump that so many books in a series do. Thanks for your great review! I can't wait to get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! Can't wait to read this! I'm glad she doesn't waste a lot of time summarizing Divergent given it was so complex a story, and I'm excited that we just hit the ground running. Yay for no middle book syndrome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a strong follow up to a book that's received a lot of praise. I just wonder if it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just one of those books where you HAVE to give it a five star rating because it was just that amazing -- I loved this to the moon and beyond too!! :) I was so happy when it didn't follow the middle book syndrome either because that's the worst thing that could've happened after we loved this book so much!

    Awesome review, Mrs. Q! Please, please, please let the last book be as awesome as the first two! x) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the first book so much and can't wait to read this one too. For once I loved a book that everyone was hyping about and I have high hopes for this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES! I'm so glad to know that Insurgent is just as good as Divergent was. I'm looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot wait to listen to this one! I listened to the audio of DIVERGENT and loved it. I've got INSURGENT in the queue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I must get to Divergent! I was at Coles today and saw this book right up front. Can't wait to start reading this trilogy.

    ReplyDelete