Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann


Publisher: Bond Street Books
Released: 2012
Pages: 368
Source: Publisher
Rating: 5/5



Synopsis:

Nick and her cousin Helena have always been inseparable. When the Second World War comes to a close, the young women find themselves parting ways. Helena moves to Los Angeles to marry an up and coming producer, after the death of her first husband, she will sacrifice everything to make this marriage work. Nick tries to settle into a domestic life with her husband, but Hughes is always working and very distant. Nick has never been comfortable in the kitchen, but she tries her best to make her husband proud. After the two cousins become mothers, their lives change even more and they can’t wait to spend a summer together. Everyone seems to have a perfect life, and bright future. When Nick’s daughter, Daisy, and Helena’s son, Ed, discover the body of a maid who was gruesomely murdered, the charade becomes to unravel and readers discover what’s really going on in the lives of these women. Helena’s husband can’t spare one moment when his life revolves around producing a movie about an ex-love. He wants Helena to give up her family’s money to support his dream. Nick seems to have the perfect life, but she’s bored and tempted. She tries to help Helena as much a possible but she doesn’t necessarily want the help. The last ten years have been rocky.



Review:

Klaussman’s debut novel is extremely well written, and worth the read. Tigers in Red Weather is an entertaining and suspenseful read. The story is told in 5 character perspectives, and really adds to the storytelling. This is not something that I would normally enjoy, but Klaussman develops each character so well, that I couldn’t help but enjoy each new perspective. It was a great way to get a glimpse into each character’s mind, and how they each interpret situations. A character’s actions towards another, doesn’t necessarily show what they think of the other person. The intimate insights are thought provoking.

The chronological order of the story line is not linear, character flashbacks forces readers to go back through time and relive a memory through a different character’s perspective. This mostly adds to the story and builds a better understanding of what happened to each individual. While it may sound repetitive, it is not. I thought this style of the story was incredibly well done.

Tigers in Red Weather is a perfect summer read, filled with great characters, and strong writing. This is not a simple, light read, it is an intelligent summer read filled with historical details. This book is highly recommended for those who like character driven stories.

10 comments:

  1. This is a book that I have been seeing all over the place, and wondering how it would fare from reviewers. I think I definitely need to read this one when I can, because I do really like character driven stories, and I also like the idea of working from five different viewpoints. Great review today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one too, I enjoyed it being told from the perspective of five different characters. They were all interesting to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was getting a lot of buzz at BEA - I'm glad to see it deserved the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of the alternating POV stories and this one sounds like it would keep my interest. I'm intrigued about the murdered maid, and the husbands. Everyone seems to be a different person than what they let on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first time I hear of this book but your 5 star rating has put it on my radar. I like character-driven novels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this book. I've heard some really good things and I love historical fiction so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like it's right up my alley. Terrific review, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the structure, seeing the same events through the eyes of all the characters, reminds me of Next to Love by Ellen Feldman, which I loved. Definitely keeping this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for writing such a terrific review Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard great things about this, and it's definitely one I'm hoping to read.

    ReplyDelete