Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Review: The Golden Son by Shilpi Sompaya Gowda


Publisher: Harper Collins
Released: 2015
Pages: 408
Source: Personal Copy
Rating: 5/5

The Golden Son is Gowda’s second novel, and I was so excited to see that it would be released in 2015. I bought it immediately on release day. I loved The Secret Daughter and I was excited but scared that I would be disappointed in her second novel. It did not disappoint, and I’m so happy that I read it.

The Golden Son is a coming of age story, Anil is the oldest son and his father’s “Golden Son.” Anil has always been expected to become a doctor, and when he decides to complete his residency in Texas, he has no idea how much his life will change. Anil becomes stuck between two worlds. Being the oldest son, he has traditional demands that his mother won’t let him walk away from. He’s also living in Texas and realizing that he can’t completely leave his old life behind him. Life is not simple, and Anil needs to figure out what he wants in life.

Leena, a childhood friend of Anil’s chooses a traditional life, hoping for a comfortable life like the one she lived with her parents. It becomes very clear, very fast that her husband and in-laws are not what she expected. Her new life becomes a dangerous struggle, and her determination and strength are tested. A woman cannot just walk away from her husband, and face no consequences.


The Golden Son wasn’t a fast read, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Gowda’s writing is fantastic, and engaging.  She forces readers to see the beauty of Indian culture, as well as the complexity of the traditions. I highly recommend this one for anyone who loves a captivating coming of age story. Gowda has become a "must buy" "must read" author for me. If you haven't read The Secret Daughter, you really should pick it up.

2 comments:

  1. I love books that immerse me in a life that's so different from mine. This sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved her first book. I've been waiting for this one for awhile. I have to be sure to get my hands on a copy so I have it to read after Christmas!

    ReplyDelete