Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Review: Vanishing and Other Stories by Deborah Willis







I really wanted to enjoy this novel, and I did until I realized this is a book of hopelessness. I only read the first 5 stories, and I had to put it down. These short stories are emotional, gloomy and filled with despair. When someone leaves you for one reason or another there is an empty void that cannot be filled. People leave for a variety of reason, sometimes people leave willingly and sometimes not. I thought th

e stories were very well written and very detailed. I honestly think Deborah Willis is a very talented writer but this is simply not my type of book. I felt like I needed more. I was looking for hope, positive outcomes and a future. I didn't feel any closure as I finished the stories, and I needed to know more about the characters. I don't normally read a lot of short stories, and that could have impacted my impression. Please keep in ming that I do not want to discourage anyone from reading this, it has received some great reviews. If it sounds like something you would enjoy, please give it a try. I've learned that sometimes a book is not for you, and you have to move on.


I'm an optimist, I'm a very happy person...doom and gloom is not for me. I'm the girl who views the glass half full.



Book Depository [Free Worldwide Shipping]

No comments:

Post a Comment