Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Friday, January 6, 2012

Review: I Am Half-Sick Of Shadows: A Flavia De Luce Novel by Alan Bradley




Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pages:320
Source: Publisher
Rating: 4/5



It’s Christmas time, and Colonel de Luce has decided to allow a movie crew to use the house as a film set. In an attempt to avoid bankruptcy for a little longer, the film crew begins to take over the house. Flavia is confronted by her sisters and told that Father Christmas does not exist. She devises a plan to capture Father Christmas and solve this mystery herself, she’s whipping up a super-sticky concoction that she’ll coat the chimney with and prove to her sisters that he does exist. Christmas-eve will be the day St Nick comes down the chimney, and he’ll get stuck- Flavia will be able to prove to her sister that they are wrong. The family must accommodate the film crew and not have a Christmas tree this year, eleven- year-old Flavia is a little upset with having no tree but her new visitors bring entertainment to her. The famous Phyllis Wyvern is bathing in her home, and she plans to observe these people as much as possible. During the filming of the production, one of the stars is murdered and Flavia discovers the body. She decides to use her skills to catch the killer. Flavia is courageous, curious, and imaginative.


The book was the fourth installment, and I was able to read it as a standalone novel. This was my first Alan Bradley novel, and I really want to start from the beginning and get to know Flavia a little better. She’s an amazing character, armed with her chemistry set and holding a grudge against her sisters. While she is brilliant and intriguing, she maintains her childhood innocence. The writing is very good, and Alan Bradley has me waiting to read the first three books. I’ve heard a lot of good things about his books. According to reviews that I have read, Bradley’s previous books are more traditional mysteries. I loved Flavia’s character. Her mind is very curious, and readers will fall in love with her scheming and her propensity for poisons. This book will appeal to the mystery lover, and is more than just a holiday read.

3 comments:

  1. christa@mentalfoodie @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: I Am Half-Sick... 5 days ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    Flavia was my fav character last year :) I had only read the first book, and here was my review: http://mentalfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/05/book-rev... I'll pick up this series when I am in a slump I think as I have too many books I need to finish first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: I Am Half-Sick... 5 days ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    Nice review! It's especially interesting because you haven't read the others in the series. I've read all four and have loved them all. If you get to them, I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brolee @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: I Am Half-Sick... 5 days ago · 0 replies · +1 points
    Love Flavia so much! I've only read the first one, but loved it and don't know why I haven't picked the next one up. Glad to know that the series is still great down the road - something to look forward to!

    bermudaonion @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: I Am Half-Sick... 5 days ago · 0 replies · +1 points
    I've only read the first book in this series, and Flavia was the best part of it

    Harvee @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: I Am Half-Sick... 5 days ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    I gave this book the same rating as you did, having enjoyed it a lot. I've read and reviewed most of the books in this series and always look forward to having a new one by Bradley.
    My recent post Book Review: I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley

    Mesa @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: I Am Half-Sick... 5 days ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    I don't know if I've said this before but I love the books you read. They are different from the ones i read. This is my first time hearing about it and It sounds really good! I'm going to check out the series on goodreads! Wonderful review!

    Jenny @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: I Am Half-Sick... 5 days ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    Nice that even though this is the fourth book in the series you were able to come in and understand and appreciate everything without having read the previous three:) Sounds like it's a great mystery and I always enjoy those. Thanks for the review Jennifer!

    zibilee @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: I Am Half-Sick... 5 days ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    I want to start with this series, and am looking into the possibility of getting them on audio from the library. It sounds as if I would enjoy Flavia and really get in line with her precociousness. I am glad that you loved this one, and will have to let you know what I think of it when I am done. Wonderful review today!

    blodeuedd @ http://www.mrsqbookadd... - Review: I Am Half-Sick... 6 days ago · 0 replies · 0 points
    i just saw another review of this one yesterday, but I still do not know. It is not exactly the kind of book I just picks up

    ReplyDelete