Quote

Be omnivorous, don't just read one kind of book, read everything. - Richard Wagamese

Monday, November 30, 2015

Life With A Toddler: 5 Things I Need to Remind Myself


1. Life with a toddler is not easy, and alot of times looking at other families, you feel like you're alone in feeling stressed and overwhelmed. I work full time, and my evenings are not easy. I get home around 5 and Caleb goes to bed around 7- 7:30 and within that time frame we have supper, dishes, playtime, bath time and books before bed. It's hard, it's stressful, and that's okay.

2. Sometimes you need to step back and prioritize. Caleb is going through a phase where he hates baths. He will scream and cry and it makes a tired toddler hard to handle. I've decided that he doesn't need to bath every night. He likes showering with his Dad, so we do it every other night. It's okay to just go with the flow, routines change. I don't want Caleb to get his way all the time, but sometimes I need to do what works.

3. Communicate with your husband. If you need help, ask for it. We don't always look at a problem the same way, and sometimes I think that my husband is ignoring my need for help but really he doesn't realize that I need help. I think this goes both ways, and it's something that we need to work on.

4. Do something for yourself, it will make you feel better. Even if it's just a small thing...In the mornings, I take 10 minutes to do my makeup and it makes me feel better.

5. Even when it's hard, enjoy the time we have as a family. Caleb going to be 2 years old, and I can't believe how fast he's growing and learning. Yes, we still co sleep, it's not ideal but to be honest, I enjoy those snuggles. What works for one family, doesn't always work for another one. Caleb wakes up in the morning and snuggles with the both of us. He'll say "dis is Mama, dis is Dada, and dis is Me."


4 comments:

  1. Yep, you certainly have to pick your battles when you have a toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got things under control...I like your attitude that what works for one doesn't work for another. And....don't stress over the baths. He's 2....he can't get that dirty. And truthfully, there is a school of thought that says too many baths for young kids, especially in winter, makes them more susceptible to dry skin. Wipe off the sticky fingers and if he only bathes a couple of times a week, he'll be fine...and you'd stay sane! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, you are not alone every parent has felt that or is feeling that. Just remember you have to know when to pick your battles and sometimes its a battle you don't want to fight. I do have to say that you have to make it a point to get some "You' time. It makes everything better trust me

    ReplyDelete
  4. All good reminders! Parenting is hard work and you've learned to adapt. You are a great mom and your little guy is too cute!

    ReplyDelete